Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SunRiders Primus Track Events

Old 07-01-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SunRiders Primus Track Events

Sorry, guys. Things aren't looking so good for Primus. Manatee county officials and apparently a few "local residents" are putting up roadblocks and there's not much the track owner can do right now.

The June event is now officially cancelled. All entries received for that event will be returned by mail. Those who paid cash will receive a refund check from the club.

Things are still up in the air, but we expect that the September Primus event probably won't happen. The December one... maaaaybe, but I'm not really optomistic about that one. We're dealing with governmental red tape and politics, these things take time.

At this point, the SunRiders are looking for other options for the scheduled dates. Our sponsor, Ferman MINI, wants to continue to support these types of events, we just need to find a venue for them.

I know we've touched on this subject in this forum before, but if anyone has any ideas, and especially good contacts for a small track such as Primus, or even a really big autocross site, please let me know.

Right now I can tell you that Sunshine Speedway is too small (for this... we could do a small SPC-type autocross there), Tampa Bay Downs is too expensive ($1500 plus $5M in insurance coverage... the insurance is the killer, it would cost us over $8k... for an autocross!), Tropicana Field is too expensive ($3k+ just to rent). We're trying to get a crew over to the big Oval track in Lakeland (I forget the name) this weekend to check it out and see if we can do anything with that.

Other ideas are welcome!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:32 AM
The Fat Cobra

Ocala Grand Prix?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:56 AM
who stole my intercooler?

malibu grand prix?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Muddy
Ocala Grand Prix?
That one has been mentioned. I need to find some contacts and see how viable it is. The MINI guys have run there before and enjoyed it.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by mofugga
malibu grand prix?
Track is too narrow.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

The old Tampa Bay Center parkink lot. GM & Dodge both have had test driver events there along with Audi I believe. I think it is owned by the Tampa Sports Authority.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:56 PM
bucket

Derby Lane
GIR
Old 07-01-2004, 08:45 PM
autocross*****.com

Gainesville - the corvette club rented it before and it was rather cheap - we did a basic lapping day around it - I got in more than 85 laps in the one day... then we headed over to the drag strip for an afternoon/evening of straight line playing.

we did it during a weekday - but for 15 of us (total road course drivers) it was only $65 a person. -- weekends would be more, but you could easily have more than 15 people to defray some of the increased cost.

just a thought

adamb

http://www.autocrossforum.com
Current: 2004 Torch Red w/ red interior z06
Sold: 2000 Corvette Convertible - Dark Bowling Metallic Green
Old 07-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Northeast = No Autox

I know you may laugh, however I know of a place in Ocala that just might work out for all of you. I am not joking. I would think the bulk of you have heard of the Bay Bottom Crawl. Its a once a year event down in the keys on old roads built for housing development that never happened. Well lucky for us there is a huge housing development started in the 70's that was never finished in Ocala. Actually just south of Ocala closer t Weirsdale. This thing is huge with many different track possibilities. It is currently owned I am my bosses believe by a bank. Its in the middle of damn no where. The track possibilities are endless. Just for S*(&s and giggles here is a satelite image of the place.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/add...&ref=A%7c32195

If you would like to know more let me know. The SCCA doesn't allow places like this for sanctioned events, but for you guys it might be perfect. Not to mention it is free. I am going out near this place next week and will take a look at it for you guys if you like.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:32 PM
bucket