Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

auto-x in Brooksville July17-18

Old 07-04-2004, 06:00 AM
OUCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally when I'm running tech, I will say something about a cracked windshield. If it doesn't obstruct visibility, I'll request that the individual wear a full face helmet WITH VISOR for their runs. My concern is that something causes the windshield to break further (a rough off course excursion or somehow a cone getting flipped up into the air and causing a cone to hit their windshield) during their run and they get some glass shards in their face. I make a not of their car number and try to check in on them later in the day too.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:39 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

ill take a pic of it later... thx guys
Old 07-04-2004, 08:50 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

heres apic of the driver view
Old 07-04-2004, 08:57 AM

Mmmm.... I'd have a hard time passing that one. Two things. First if you're taller than about 5'2, that spiderwebbing (sorry, just saw Spiderman 2) is right in your field of vision. Second, like Leonard said, a good bump could have glass fragments coming your way.

But, I have nothing to do with this Brooksville event (but I'll be there on Sunday!), just offering an opinion.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:15 AM
RE-Member

If you have insurance on this car, then the insurance company will fix it with no deductable. (Even if you jdo not have full coverage it is covered).

Unless you bought the car with the broken windsheild.

They will even replace it at your home or work.

Just a thought.

Eddie
Old 07-04-2004, 09:42 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

bought the car with the windshield like that, although i do have a full face helmet with a face sheild. So i would not pass for sunriders?
Old 07-04-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by MerkurGuy
So i would not pass for sunriders?
Probably not. If it were left up to me, I'd have to see where you sit in the car and how it really affects visibility. If I could live with that, I might let it go with a full-face.

You have to look at it from our perspective. Weird stuff happens in motorsports that simply can't be predicted. Let's say something happens and you hit a worker on course. Or you blow a turn on course and hit a big pot hole dislodging one of those chunks of glass and it hurts you or your passenger. If we allowed you to pass tech with a windshield that, waiver or not, and even if it has nothing to do with the defect, we could be held liable for that. Our world is ruled by lawyers.

I'm sure finding a used replacement windshield for a Merkur would be difficult, but have you tried calling Safelite? Nevermind autox tech, you could easily get a ticket for that windshield.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:47 AM
OUCH!!!

If I were doing tech, I'd have to say no. That said, you could lobby the CSS (chief safety steward) at the event to allow it. When it's all said and done, it's their call because they're the responsible party on the insurance paperwork.

Honestly, the people I have allowed with cracks have had a single crack that did not run the entire length of the windshield and did not go through the entire windshield. And I've requested that each of them get it replaced before the next event they attend.

A good indicator is the safety glasses you have on the dash...
Old 07-04-2004, 11:54 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Originally posted by Leonard

A good indicator is the safety glasses you have on the dash...
i just finished a Transmission upgrade on the car and threw the glasses there because i was grinding ad cutting my floorbord. thanks for the help guys
Old 07-04-2004, 02:29 PM
4.6L Rice Eater

Default Just Registered for the Brooksville event

I just registered for the brooksville event and i would appreciate it if any of you experienced guys have any advice for me...I have never dont this before...i drive the honda in my sig, no major work done to it....just a pretty much stock d16y8 (intake exhaust, clutch and lightened flywheel)....i dont expect to run really fast times, i just want to get some experience in AutoX. Thanks alot guys...

John