Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Kuhmo question (comp tires)

Old 06-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Haul'n the Family

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well put Loren...I see your point.

I've been autocrossing regularly since 1998. I've autocrossed my old stock 5 speed '96 Altima SE on Yoko AVS Intermediates and my '02 SVT Focus on its Contisports.
Over the last few years I've become more consistant...upgrading to the Focus has really helped a lot. The car is much easier to drive fast. It seems effortless in comparison. The Contisports provided great performance across the board, and when they "broke" traction it was consistant. meaning I always knew when they were going to give.
There are times when I felt I could have done better if the tires could have given me a bit more though.
I try to be smooth, I think I am pretty smooth. I just felt like the next progression would be comp tires. But, maybe I should just go with a even better street tire first for autocross use as well. huh?
I'm just afraid if i did that, i'd be dissapointed, that the street tires for race use wouldn't be any better than what I'm already used to.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by fastforward
I try to be smooth, I think I am pretty smooth. I just felt like the next progression would be comp tires. But, maybe I should just go with a even better street tire first for autocross use as well. huh?
I really wasn't sure where you were on the learning curve. Sounds like you might be ready for some R tires. But a set of Azenis would be a good stepping stone if you've not run on them yet. Much grippier than any other street tire... but still not up there with the R tires.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:42 AM
The Fat Cobra

The 700's would be track only. Is it really necessary to shave them? What would that cost me and where do you get it done?
The v700 should be shaved unless being used as a rain tire. They will wear quickly and unevenly if used in the dry and not shaved. Whomever you order the tires from can shave them for you, tirerack charges $10 per tire.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:09 AM
OUCH!!!

Bad Habits? What do you mean Leonard?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier... I've been crazy busy.

Loren mad my point better than I could have.

I moved to comp tires quite a while before I could have. My times immediately got faster and I was happy with that. What I didn't realize is how much time I was leaving on the track because I still wasn't as smooth as I could be. I didn't even begin to realize how bad I was driving until I cut one of my R comps on some track debris and went back to street tires for a couple of events. Street compounds are far less tollerant of quick imputs than R compounds and I was all over the place.

My driving still isn't that great. It's VERY rare that I leave a course with any bits of gooey rubber on my tread. My tires are always scrubbed clean. Anytime I let someone who is a better driver than I (Neal or Jesse for example) drive my car, they would always come off course and the tires were covered with bits of rubber that they had picked up. I think they picked up more than they left even.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:59 AM
Haul'n the Family

I've looked at some Azenis...the closest size they come in that is comparable to my stock size is 225/45/17. My stock size is 215/45/17. So not only would the tire be wider, because it is the same profile it will be a bit taller as well. I did a quick price check and determined that the Azenis in that size would set me back about $160 bucks a tire. Thats about $40 more bucks a tire than the Khumo V700 Comp tire in my size.
Do you all really think I am better off paying more for "less" of a competition tire? Sorry so many questions...I just don't want to do the wrong thing.
Lastly...could someone explain in laymans terms heat cycling? Is this something I would want done?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:59 AM
OUCH!!!

Here's a good read on heat cycling from tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...tcycletech.jsp
Old 06-13-2004, 09:04 AM
OUCH!!!

You've got another choice to consider as well... they've been available for about a month.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....reModel=Tech+R
Old 06-13-2004, 09:37 AM

On the Azenis vs. real competition tire question, you need to factor the life of the tire into the equation. The Kumhos might be cheaper, but the Azenis will probably last longer.

Do they make the Toyo RA-1 in your size? I still think that would be your best bet for an entry-level competition tire. It will probably last about as long as the Azenis yet be nearly as grippy as the Kumho.

Here's your Azenis for $109, btw.

http://edgeracing.com/tires/2254517/
Old 06-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Haul'n the Family

You guys rule! thanks Loren and Leonard. I'll do a bit more reading and research, thanks for the links. I'm sure I'll have more questions too. The advice is much appreciated!