Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Racing Slicks

Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Northeast = No Autox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Slicks

Anyone ever run a 2500 lb FWD car on Goodyear Bias Ply slicks before at an autox. I am thinking about getting some brand new Goodyear full slicks compound r600 and trying to run them on my car. They would be 10" wide on 13" wheels.
I drive a GSR and have been autox'ing for awhile now. Just wanna do it for fun but I have heard that my car may be to heavy for the tires and just destroy them. The r600 is the hardest compound Goodyear makes. Also anyone know if Diamond Racing 13x7 with 4 inch backspacing will fit on a GSR with stock brakes using a 1/4" spacer? These damn circle track companies have the worst websites.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Nice avatar. Why do you guys take me so seriously?

I don't think you're going to get very many relevant answers to your question here on TR. For the wheel fitment question, you'd do better to find a well-subscribed Honda/Acura forum. For the specific tire question, I would accept nothing less than the answer provided by Goodyear. I'm sure they can tell you precisely what their tires are designed to do.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Northeast = No Autox

well the unfortunately reality is that goodyear pretty much wants nothing to do with joe public. they don't give the answers. i was looking for some help full advice from fellow racers.

as far as the avatar is concerned, i just had to do it. its so funny.

i am sure there are many people on this forum who would love to give there opinion. hopefully
Old 06-03-2004, 07:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, dude. I welcome your questions. I just honestly don't think you're going to find an accurate answer by asking the question here. You might get a little advice, but odds are nobody here can tell you whether or not that particular wheel is going to fit your car. And if you're taking advice on whether or not a tire will be safe on your car from folks on internet forums... well... I'll just say that's not wise.

Seriously, I just don't think this is the best place to ask that question. That's all I was trying to say. I thought that was all I said.

Again... lose whatever bias you have against me and stop reading all of my posts negatively.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:29 PM

I have autocrossed Formula Fords on slicks since 1986. I have given my old slicks to other autocrossers to try, and many have liked them. I have run 13" rims from 5.5" wide to 11" wide.

I would suggest to go with a softer compound, not a harder compound. The softer compound gives better grip while cold, and one does not have the chance to get tires warm at autocrosses. The harder compound would slip much easier, thus wearing out much faster. I learned this at a SOLO I at Sebring in 1988.

Also, I only run Hoosiers. They are a far superior tire for autocrossing.

You could probably get away with the 22X9X13 tires that are rear tires for S2000, FC, DSR, etc. There was a racer in CFR that ran a Chevette in GP. He used the 22X9X13 FC rear tires on all 4 corners of the car, and it handled well. Hoosier does make slicks for sedans. http://www.hoosierracingtire.com/rrtire.htm

If you can get away to Roebling Road on the July 4 weekend, there is a double national road race that weekend. I have gone there in the past to dumpster dive for take offs. I have left with as many as 40 tires at that event. Talking nicely to the tire guys, and asking them which tires are the throw aways should lead you to the tires that are being disposed of. Free ain't bad!!!!!

3 years ago I tried a set of Avon tires. I really liked them. It turned out that the set I got were experemintal tries (made for qualifying at the June Sprints at Road America, with the plies being made of kevlar. They were very light tires, and handled well.

Many top National road races feel that tires lose their edge with 4 heat cycles, so those with a large budget put 3 heat cycles on them and then throw them out.

If you do get slicks, keep the deflated and sealed in dark trash bags away from UV light and any source of ozone. They will stay soft much longer by treating them this way.