Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Random musings...

Old 05-20-2004, 04:26 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random musings...

So after taking an involuntary break from autocrossing (due to work, family stuff, etc...) I've realized that I really do enjoy it, and I want to keep doing it. My car ('00 Civic Si) is back to stock (although my header is helping Jeremy immensely in STS ), so I'm in GS with a not-all-that-competitive car. I don't know what I want to do.

I could get some Victroracers and run the Si in GS and get slaughtered by Albert every month...

or

I could save some money and buy a CRX Si/CRX or EF Si for HS or GS. Although I'm not sure I want to deal with registering/storing/insuring another car...

or

I could sell the Si and get something else. Something that's okay to commute in (64 miles round trip every day ), and competitive in a stock or SP class. Maybe an '02-'03 Protege LX 2.0 or something? I dunno.

Thoughts? Maybe other suggestions on a replacement for the Civic? Just no Neons and no Miatas (I don't fit. Yes, I'm sure. Really!). Just tossing some ideas around...

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:39 AM

If I was looking for a new car, daily driver, weekend autoxer, I'd get a Mini! N/A or S/C, both great cars, unbelievable handling! Even room for extra set of wheels.

Jamal
Old 05-20-2004, 04:41 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't really want to spend any new money. I figure the Si is worth aboot $10k, so that would be the budget for a "new"/different car...

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 05-20-2004, 05:56 AM
cone junkie

My thoughts on a double duty daily driver/autocrosser

EF Si (STS or HS), 2nd gen MR2 (like mine, for ES), LT1 Camaro (for FS) , Celica (every so often, there's a GS setup Celica in the 10k price range, could also do STS in it)

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 05-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

EF Si (STS or HS)
Definitely a possibility. Cheap enough to be a 2nd car without too much extra cost.

2nd gen MR2 (like mine, for ES)
Too expensive as a second car, and not big enough for me... I gotta haul computer shit around so I kinda need a back seat and/or a trunk...

LT1 Camaro (for FS)
Yeah, I dunno about that...

Plus, I think gas mileage would kill me...

Celica (every so often, there's a GS setup Celica in the 10k price range, could also do STS in it)
As much as I try to like the Celica, I just can't... Which sucks, because it fits my needs pretty well... But I can't get past the small size, goofy looks, and bad visibility.

Any thoughts on the '02-'03 Protege idea?

Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 AM

This car would suit all your needs...
Click Here

Jeremy

Old 05-20-2004, 08:28 AM
F K D

1)Retail the Si. A private salecould bring $12K.
Lease a base RX-8 (sounds like you'll have to do about 18K mi. per year on it, though). It'll suit your needs as a daily driver and you can throw an extra set of wheels in the back seat with an entire trunk to spare. With the almost certain bumping of the 2.0 S-2000 to AS, it'd be the car to have in BS (assuming to Boxster also gets bumped up). There was one in Atlanta with just an alignment, front bar, and Victo's and he was very close in times to the top 3 on Saturday and they were all on Hoosiers. He fell off on Sunday since his Victo's were shaved and it was a lot wetter out. I think it'll end up being a quicker car than the 350Z and MS Miata. One trophied at the Houston Tour a couple months ago. I know you've already driven one and liked it.

2)Keep the Si. Buy a 1.6L Miata or 1st gen MR2 and prep it for STS2. I'm guessing that $5 to $7K would give you a divisionally competitive set-up and a reliable car. It would also be a, relitively, inexpensive class to run.

3)Send Greddy a LOT of money and run SM in your Si.

Albert's not your only regional comp. anymore. Jason Minehart's RSX-S will be the car/driver to beat all year in GS.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:32 AM
cone junkie

Jason....

have you seen the trunk of my MR2? It's actually pretty big. It was designed to hold 2 full size Golf Bags. And if you can find a t-top or hardtop, they've got more headroom than my sunroof car.

And gas mileage on any V8 isn't that bad if you don't rev the crap out of it. If you can get a LS1 car with the V6, they get quite good highway mileage.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 05-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally posted by OversteerS2K
1)Retail the Si. A private salecould bring $12K.
Lease a base RX-8 (sounds like you'll have to do about 18K mi. per year on it, though). It'll suit your needs as a daily driver and you can throw an extra set of wheels in the back seat with an entire trunk to spare. With the almost certain bumping of the 2.0 S-2000 to AS, it'd be the car to have in BS (assuming to Boxster also gets bumped up). There was one in Atlanta with just an alignment, front bar, and Victo's and he was very close in times to the top 3 on Saturday and they were all on Hoosiers. He fell off on Sunday since his Victo's were shaved and it was a lot wetter out. I think it'll end up being a quicker car than the 350Z and MS Miata. One trophied at the Houston Tour a couple months ago. I know you've already driven one and liked it.

2)Keep the Si. Buy a 1.6L Miata or 1st gen MR2 and prep it for STS2. I'm guessing that $5 to $7K would give you a divisionally competitive set-up and a reliable car. It would also be a, relitively, inexpensive class to run.

3)Send Greddy a LOT of money and run SM in your Si.

Albert's not your only regional comp. anymore. Jason Minehart's RSX-S will be the car/driver to beat all year in GS.
Yeah, what kind of bullshit is that? How the hell did the RSX-S get dumped to GS? No fair!

I would LOVE to get into an RX-8 6-peed. I drove one at the dealership over on Florida and I absolutely loved it. The main reason I can't lease a car is because I put almost 25k a year on my car now, and I don't think that would go over too well, haha... And I'm looking at buying a house toward the end of '05, so I definitely don't want to start any more of this car payment crap.

I'll have to check out an MR2... But I think Jesse just wants more competition.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:19 AM
OUCH!!!

I'll second Jesse's suggestion of the MR2. It's a bit cramped for someone of my size (6'2" 280lbs) (okay.. alot) BUT it was an absolute BLAST to drive. I nearly decided to pick one up while I build my Cobra Replica. REALLY.