Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Local Events to check out?

Old 05-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Using The Force Of N/A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Events to check out?

I just found an interest in Auto X but I'd like to know if there are any events comming up in the Bay Area so I could check it out in person? If I were to take up Auto X with my Ls ( it will be fully built with cams, pistons, port and polish, full exhaust etc...before I take it out to a Track or Course) How would it hold up? Thanks for you Support and Input.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:11 PM

Look in the sticky Schedule thread at the top of this forum for when and where the events are. I think all of the local (and some not so local) clubs are represented.

You need to consider why you're getting into autocrossing and what your goals are BEFORE you start modifying a car for it.

If you're just doing it for fun, carry on. Do what you want to your car and have fun!

If you're interested in being competitive and winning trophies, you really need to study the rules for whatever club you'll be running with (most likely, SCCA Solo II rules). Hint: Doing internal mods to your engine will likely bump you into a REALLY tough class that will require you to fully trick out your suspension, run really wide wheels with really expensive tires, and probably strip your interior to get the weight down.

Just know the rules before you start building a car. Or just come out with a stockish car and learn the game for a bit. Autocross is 90% driver, anyway.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:24 PM
The Fat Cobra

straight to street mod, do not pass "GO". With the right suspension and wheels/tires, it could be very competitive.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Muddy
straight to street mod, do not pass "GO". With the right suspension and wheels/tires, it could be very competitive.
That's one possibility. Or he could forego the internal engine work, do some cheap suspension work, run cheap street tires and be competitive in Street Touring for a fraction of the cost.

But if he does the engine work before he comes to his first autocross (or before he looks at the rule book), his options become much more limited.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Using The Force Of N/A

ok, so my best bet is to leave my motor stock? that'll be easy. now for suspension will Arospeed coilovers and KYB GR-2's shocks hold up good enough or do I need to upgrade sway bars and stuff like that? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by InTeGrA RaCeR
ok, so my best bet is to leave my motor stock? that'll be easy. now for suspension will Arospeed coilovers and KYB GR-2's shocks hold up good enough or do I need to upgrade sway bars and stuff like that? Thanks.
I think you'd get a more accurate answer if you searched or posed your question to a Honda/Acura forum where lots of Integra guys hang out. STS is a popular class for autocrossing, lots of people have set Integras up for that class and can tell you what works and what doesn't.

(if we were talking Miata... I could help you )

In general, what you've stated sounds like an acceptable inexpensive starting point. That and a good set of tires will get you in the game. You'll have a good learning curve to get through as a driver before you have to worry about having the ultimate competitive equipment.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Using The Force Of N/A

ok, thanks a lot.