Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

A few questions

Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Back on the road again...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions

I read the whole solo 2 handbook... well the one in the sticky. I am completely new to this sport and i think it would be a lot of fun and i really want to go to an event but i was wondering do i HAVE to be in a club or something like that and i would really like to go and take the classes and such but idk where to go for stuff like that. thanks for your help, i think i am probably gonna get some responses telling me to read something.
TR's drive my car more than 2500 miles in less than a month crew member #01
Old 05-03-2004, 06:14 PM
OUCH!!!

Default Re: A few questions

Originally posted by cheesy
i think i am probably gonna get some responses telling me to read something.
How'd you guess!!!! (I'm not gonna beat you up though because at least you read the stickies. )

The event flyers for most of the local clubs list entry fees for members and non-members. Thus, the answer is "No, you don't have to be a member, but it'll save you some cash in the long run."

The best thing you can do is show up at an event. If you're not really sure what's up with everything, show up for the first one to watch. If you're only going to go to watch, I'd recommend showing up early enough to listen in on the drivers meeting. You'll learn a TON of information about how events are run and what the expected rules/behavior are. It varies a little bit by club, but really it's mostly the same. (And the majority of it is based around safety keeping the club liability insurance policy and being respectful to the site so that we don't loose them.)

Maybe even talk to an club staff member and see if they can get you a ride along with somebody.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:34 PM

thanks, so i guess i will just watch a few events and go to the drivers meetings to learn about it, then i will enter in to a race.
thanks again
Old 05-03-2004, 06:47 PM
bucket

If you take the time to go to an event, go ahead and drive in it. Pretty much every club has a novice class designed to familiarize new drives to autox events. They will also introduce the more experienced drivers who are willing to ride along and instruct. The two best clubs to start out with are SCCA and SunRiders, IMO.

SunRiders would probably be a little better, but they are growing too big, so we need to push them back underground more to get 8 run events. Go through the forums and read some of Loren's posts....see how scary he is!

BTW, there is an Sunriders Event this Saturday on an interesting track layout, even though the "school" is full, there should still be people willing to help out...just mention that you're new.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 PM

ok well saturday is my prom.... yea still in HS. i read into the sunriders website and there is one is june so i will go to that and i am going to look for a few other things like SCCA and sunriders. thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 07:00 PM
bucket

ok well saturday is my prom.... yea still in HS. i read into the sunriders website and there is one is june so i will go to that and i am going to look for a few other things like SCCA and sunriders. thanks
chicks dig racecar drivers...and it'll be over by four
Old 05-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Rockin the Wagon

I'm still in HS and I will be there. You can still show up if you want. We'll have at least 1-2 run groups done by noon. So you can leave by then, unless you are getting your hair done before prom .
Old 05-04-2004, 07:01 PM

What they said.

If you're going to bother coming to an autocross, you might as well get started if at all possible. I don't think any of the clubs require you to be a member, they just charge you more money if you aren't. If you're under 18, you'll need to get a minor waiver signed by a parent to drive OR to ride.

FYI, the SunRiders June event is NOT an autocross. June is a track event at Primus and is not suitable for a first-timer.

Neurovish, I sorta agree... would be nice if we could go back "underground". But we're managing 50-60 car events pretty well and still getting 6-7 runs most of the time. Due to the size of the site, we're going to hold the cap at around 60. More than that is just too much.

But, then again... it is nice to have enough people there to get things done. When all of your events are 20-25 cars, people get burned out on all of the work a lot quicker. More people means more even distribution of the workload.