Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

What size tires?

Old 05-05-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GSRBoy
It is lowered about 2.25 inches around. Do you think the 205/50's would rub?
Ah, well that changes things a bit. If things are going to be close, you need to take a look at what you have on the car now and take some clearance measurements. Then you can juggle those numbers with your new tire size and get a pretty good idea of whether or not you'll have a problem.

Just look for the manufacturer's specs on the tire you want to buy. The "stated size" of the tire is not very accurate. The published specs of the tire will be what you'll want to base your decisions on.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:34 AM
ARRGGHHHH

also, having the proper offset of your wheels will determine, if you will have rubbing issues.

i have 195/50 tires on a 15x6.5 wheel right now. althought i think 205/50 would be a better choice, seems like the tire diameter i have now is a little smaller than my stock size. Hard cornering or not, I don't rub at all.

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 05-05-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Sam_I_am
also, having the proper offset of your wheels will determine, if you will have rubbing issues.
Yep, that's one of the things that has to be considered when making the estimate using known measurements of the existing setup vs. the new setup. It's not difficult to do, just takes a little thought. Always better to know before you blow a wad of cash on a set of tires whether or not they're going to fit!
Old 05-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Living the dream

I have koni yellows with ground control coilovers with an ingalls camber kit in front. The tires I have on there now rub they are 185/65/14. Would'nt the 205/50/15 work since the side wall is thiner? But then I have to worry about width.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 04:53 PM

I have koni yellows with ground control coilovers with an ingalls camber kit in front. The tires I have on there now rub they are 185/65/14. Would'nt the 205/50/15 work since the side wall is thiner? But then I have to worry about width.
Dude, you're asking for guesses and that's all you can possibly get from us. To get an answer you're going to have to either just try it and hope it works, or LOOK AT YOUR CAR, find out where it's rubbing, and compare the measurements of the wheel/tire combo you have to the one you intend to install.

If you're 185/65's are rubbing because they're too tall, then a 205/50 isn't going to be much shorter and a 195/50 might be a better option. Use the tire calculator I provided to get some rough numbers, that's what I just did.

Now, if you've got a GC kit, you can deal with that kind of rubbing by (drumroll please) raising the ride height just a little bit. Problem solved. Hint: Putting your car as low as it will go is not necessarily going to result in the best handling.

If your rubbing is due to width (rubbing fender lips or struts), then you'll have to either get a narrower tire or fidget with the wheel offset.

None of this is rocket science, just LOOK AT IT, do a little research and figure it out. Quit asking us to guess for you, you're not doing yourself any favors by having us guess at something we haven't seen.

If you want a guess... 205/50 won't fit without rubbing more than your 185/65's do. I'd go with 195/50's and be happy. Raise the car about 1/2" if you have to.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:03 PM
MASTER BREWER:HOT TEA

why is your car so low again?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Living the dream

I am just trying to get some answers and opinions. No need to get all pissed off. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 PM

I am just trying to get some answers and opinions. No need to get all pissed off. Thanks for your time.
I'm not pissed, just a little annoyed. I've tried to give you all of the resources that you need to find your answers. Unlike the others who have chimed in here, I'm not content to just guess at what tire is going to fit on your car. But rather than try to find your own answers, you keep coming back here and asking vague questions.

If you give us more to work with, we might be able to offer a more relevant opinion. Where exactly do your 185's rub? What is the offset and size of your 14" wheels? What specific model of tire are you looking to fit?

You simply haven't given us enough info to answer your question.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Living the dream

I am going to get the Yokohama AVS e100. The rpm's per mile are'nt that much different http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...odel=AVS+ES100 . The tires only rub when I make a u-turn they rub the splash guard. Stock honda offset is I think 35-38 and the wheels I ordered are 40mm. I just want a wider tire so it handles better and has more cantact with the road for better stopping.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:22 PM

Okay, so if your estimate of your stock offset is correct (sounds right), your new wheels will fit 2mm more inboard. Good to know.

Where on the splash guard are you rubbing and with what part of the tire? For example: Inside edge of the splash guard toward the top, front tires, scuffing the sidewall. Or top of the splash guard, front tires, scuffing the outside half of the tread.

Knowing exactly where you're rubbing now will help determine whether your new tires will rub.

I'm still thinking that unless you want to bump the ride height up (which would probably be a good idea... if you're low enough to rub 185's, you're probably on the bump stops which isn't good for handling... been there, done that) that 195's are what you should get.