Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Camcorders and in car video

Old 04-23-2004, 06:08 PM
OUCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camcorders and in car video

I'm getting ready to pick up a camcorder to document some of the teardown of my donor car so I have a reference to get it all back together. I want to get something that will work well for in car vdeo once I've got the FFR built.

What kind of camcorder are all of you guys using to shoot your in car video?

Are you guys using electronic image stabilazation?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:28 AM
No more nice guy

It's not so much the camera but the mount! And as for the camera, lens angle gets real important. I'd suggest getting any camera you want (I'll always recommend sony) as long as it has video/aud "in" capability. Then go to www.chasecam.com. This guy has done the research and offers minicams you can mount anywhere on your car. Too cool.

I have an I/O Port rollbar mount for my Sony PD150a. I will be changing to the chase cam arrangement this year.

Steve
Old 04-24-2004, 07:01 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

I have the IO port rollbar mount and a JVC Mini DV camera. Easy to capture via IE1394 port on my PC and edit and copy to a CD ROM. Windows XP makes it easier. My JVC has been reliable - and even without image stabilization - the quality is great.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:44 AM
Northeast = No Autox

Default Sold Camera's for years

I worked in retail electronics for 6 years while in highschool and off and on in college. I worked at Sound Advice for 4 years and have used quite a few camera's. I would say that JVC has to be one of the most rugged camera's. I have one that I got for dirt cheap and it has never missed a beat. They may not have all the bells and whistles of the sony's but they are pretty damn tuff. Mine got hit by a guy on a bike 2 weeks ago mountain biking and it still works fine, after a roll down a nice big hill. I would say though to go check out sound advice and see what they have discontinued. Thats how you will get the best deal. If you can't find a good JVC though sony all the way.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:34 PM
bad ass fonzie

even if the camera has it- do not use image stabilization!

my experience is that it expends batteries faster- and more importantly, it has a strange tendency to kill the sense of speed. dont ask me why or how, but it's true.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 AM
1337 H4x0r

You can purchase my camcorder.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
ARRGGHHHH

i just use a digital sony camcorder mounted on my home made camera mount made out of 2x4 wood. I drilled two holes to fit into my head rest and drilled another hole for the bolt that connects to the camera. i put some of those "anti slip" carpet mats.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:59 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

For my footage that I had in the DDAY video (outside car mounted) I used a StckyPod http://www.stickypod.com/ and a Sony DCR-TRV250 (they're not too expensive and consumer reports liked it).

Charles

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 05-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Haul'n the Family

This is a still was taken from my incar mount's video. I'm not sure if this still is from my Digi8 or my old Hi8.
I've used the same sort setup as SamIam for about three years. The wood with the holes for the headrest supports and a old tripod head attached in the middle. It only works if you have removeable headrests. On the focus, the rear seat has headrests...yes, I find that image stabilization works fine, but does seem to lessen the perception of speed. As does using the zoom. I would recommend a camera with a wide focal length. Long zoom is not important. You can also pick up aftermarket wide angle lenses for around $50 bucks. Its a MUST HAVE!

Anyway....bottom line is, you can't go wrong with Sony or Canon. The Digital 8 cameras (only made by Sony) probably offer the most bang for the buck but a are a bit heavier then their Mini-DV competitors. They also utilize Hi8 tapes to record on which are cheaper than mini-dv tapes. You can pick up a nice Digi8 for less then $400 bucks. JVC makes good pro-end stuff, the consumer stuff is well made but certainly lacks in picture quality compared to Sony or Canon.
Do your research. Check out www.bhphotovideo.com to compare prices and they often have some great info about their products. B&H is top notch, but beware other mailorder places (especially Broadway Video.) Check out videomaker magazine for reviews, they carry it at Barnes & Nobles.
Good luck.
-Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
svtf incar.jpg (54.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by fastforward; 05-09-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Bleh, I just grabbed an old Sony camcorder, machined some aluminum bar, and stuck the two together w/ a pivot mount and it worked just fine. I wasn't going for stellar quality, simply picture quality capable of allowing me to document any mistakes I made. I guess it all comes down to intended purpose.