Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Amps.....

Old 06-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amps.....

Well i recently got this truck and have been debating on alot of things...Either going sq or going spl.... Im leaning more towards.the sq..any ways i have posted about the 2 d6's....and what not but with going the sq route i was thinking 1 8d3....cuase it would fit perfect in the xtend cab...Buttt do you think it will be enough..i hear you can push them pretty good i was looking at the diamond d3 600.1 Yea... it's over kill but i amp not to shure about there amp.. HELP please lol i'm like a lost jdm tuner in the audio world lol any ways. what do you think would be nice p.s i am going to run the speaker at 1 ohm...that is why i was looking into that 600.1 amp.Thanks PLEASE help

-Noob to the game lol
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
King of Ricers

Originally Posted by KartRex
Well i recently got this truck and have been debating on alot of things...Either going sq or going spl.... Im leaning more towards.the sq..any ways i have posted about the 2 d6's....and what not but with going the sq route i was thinking 1 8d3....cuase it would fit perfect in the xtend cab...Buttt do you think it will be enough..i hear you can push them pretty good i was looking at the diamond d3 600.1 Yea... it's over kill but i amp not to shure about there amp.. HELP please lol i'm like a lost jdm tuner in the audio world lol any ways. what do you think would be nice p.s i am going to run the speaker at 1 ohm...that is why i was looking into that 600.1 amp.Thanks PLEASE help

-Noob to the game lol
no diamond sub will do anything about average SQ, They are long throw geared SPL subs. generally you need a high sensitivity subwoofer with a low f3, something like a elemental designs or midrange JLs.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

So i am browsing the element of design websight...cuase im not a real big jl fan...sure they make good product but every one has them i see they have a 9Kv.2 Subwoofer... would yall recomond that sub... and wat amp??? to make sure im getting the right sound from it?

Last edited by KartRex; 06-15-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:55 AM

You need good bass, even for SQ. It has to stay balanced with the rest of the system. 1 8 is doable, but marginal. 1 12, or a couple 10s is more like it. In my SQ car, I have 3 12's...just not the same subs or alignment I'd use for SPL

Toby

BlackDog Racing
BlackDog Speed Shop

Lincolnshire, IL

Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

yea... i'm not just to shure in what i am going to do i willl do some reading...and study on what should be done.And if ne one else has some advace let me knoe thanks ahead of time people
Old 06-16-2006, 09:02 AM

Given the limitations on space, I'd probably go with something like 3 or 4 8's.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by TBSpyder
Given the limitations on space, I'd probably go with something like 3 or 4 8's.
That would work, or you could do a bunch of 6 1/2's

Actually, several smaller drivers can work really well in small space. You can often put 4 8's in less space than 1 12, and get similar output, at all but the lowest frequencies. When you consider excursion limited output, 4 8's on 200 watts can be louder than 1 12 on the same 200 watts.

Toby

BlackDog Racing
BlackDog Speed Shop

Lincolnshire, IL

Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 AM

yea... i'm not just to shure in what i am going to do i willl do some reading...and study on what should be done.And if ne one else has some advace let me knoe thanks ahead of time people
Ahead of time?!?! Are you new around here? That's just not how we do things. We let you go spend a bunch of money, get your system all done, and then we'll beat you up over everything from brand choice, to wiring, to what you paid. Then we'll tell you that you should have asked first.

Toby

BlackDog Racing
BlackDog Speed Shop

Lincolnshire, IL

Old 06-16-2006, 10:22 AM

So i am browsing the element of design websight...cuase im not a real big jl fan...sure they make good product but every one has them i see they have a 9Kv.2 Subwoofer... would yall recomond that sub... and wat amp??? to make sure im getting the right sound from it?
I have no experience with ED, but those who use them, seem to like them. I have seen some stuff on other forums that seem to cast doubt on their quality and customer service, though.

Specs look ok, a bit pricey maybe. What does concern me are the 'ideal box plots' on the applications page. They must be taking car acoustics into account. It would be almost impossible (maybe even impossible, although I hate to use that word) to get flat response, from an 8 in a 0.25cu ft box, from 10hz to 100hz. They don't even show a 3db point at all. That's just not how box curves look.

I also question the 133 db at 55 hz. Actually, the specs seem to negate eachother:

Variation from 10-100hz, 0.5db
Average SPL 118 db
Max spl 133 db at 55 hz.

So how can it never vary by more than .5, but have the average and max be 15 db apart? It actually looks like they threw some EQ on the green line, to get the yellow line, but they don't come out and say it (other than the legend). All a bit shady to me.

To give you a real world example...I use the Crossfire DB38 (very similar specs) in small spaces. In .25cu ft, you'll get a 3db point of 70 hz. Now, while that sounds high, it works quite well due to both the shape of the curve (rolloff) and the acoustics of the car. I've done single 8's in two cars recently (a 280z and a new mustang) in about 0.5 cu each, that both sounded very good. No 'big boom' but nice, clean, noticable bottom end. I think 4 of these, in 1-1.5 cu ft on 400-600 watts would sound really nice.

Of course, this depends greatly on what type of music you like...

Toby

BlackDog Racing
BlackDog Speed Shop

Lincolnshire, IL

Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Banned

ha ha toby... i'm a oldy... just kidding yes ahead of time thas dum to get some thing that is going to sound like shit. if i am going to do some thing i am going to do it right and with you all giving thhis great imput it will happen..hahaha