View Full Version : Paying car insurance for a car you don't drive...

Superluminal
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I have a quick question. I have a project car that has gone under the knife and probably won't be on the road again until next year. The car is currently registered and insured. I understand that if a car is registered it must be insured by Florida law. My question is, would the only way to not pay insurance on a car you don't drive be to remove vehicle registration, if that's even possible? I will be stuck paying over $1000 every 6 months for this car that I don't drive. There is no reason to pay that if the car is not being driven. I was also informed by my insurance company that you cannot have separate liability plans for different vehicles under your name. I know many of you project cars that are under the knife for a period of time. Do you all continue to pay insurance on a car you don't drive?

rotarykidd
08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
i dont pay car insurance for the car i do drive, being poor FTL! dont have insurance for it, they wont check unless you get pulled over in it, and you wont be driving it. unless you have it in a parking lot at an apartment you should be fine. :dunno:

Big Chris
08-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Now I'm glad I pay extra for uninsured drivers coverage on my cars after reading the post above.

zhillz
08-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Now I'm glad I pay extra for uninsured drivers coverage on my cars after reading the post above.

Its worth it since there are A LOT of people with no insurance.

They say the insurance company is supposed to contact the DMV and tell them you have gotten rid of coverage but they dont. Besides if they see you have another car they wont even notice. Hell tell the insurance company you dont own it anymore.

Garrett
08-05-2009, 08:39 PM

+1

quiksilvia
08-05-2009, 09:25 PM
+2

but full coverage can suck my D

Signal7cbr!
08-06-2009, 12:45 AM
dmv gets notified when you dont have ins.

you get an automated letter in the mail telling to turn in your tag or face license suspension

dont pay the ins or cancell it and turn in your tag.

oh and driving without insurance is fucking stupid. good luck on your sr22 when you hurt someone in an accident because youre too "poor"

zaksblaklabel
08-06-2009, 12:50 AM

+3

my friend had that happen his license suspended for no ins twice. the first time to reinstate his license was $150, the second time it was $250.

vanillagorilla
08-06-2009, 01:01 AM
you can get storage insurance for a couple of dollars a month. just call the company and explain to them that you will be storing the vehicle, but you are keeping it registered. I pay $7.22 a month to insure a vehicle that I am storing in my garage.

zhillz
08-06-2009, 02:09 AM
^ never herd of that but that is good to know

rotarykidd
08-06-2009, 03:02 AM
oh and driving without insurance is fucking stupid. good luck on your sr22 when you hurt someone in an accident because youre too "poor"

LOL you obviously have never been homeless then. if i have to choose between eating and paying $200 a month for insurance, im gonna choose eating. i just got a job anyway so now i can get insurance. i still have a DL, no suspensions. i dont under stand why you need insurance for a car you dont drive. florida is stupid.

Evolutionist
08-06-2009, 03:27 AM
You should have insurance on the car you own and drive. If you dont.... then take the bus. If you have a car that your not driving..... have your insurance drop it till your ready to drive it again. If you have to choose between eating and paying insurance.... you shouldn't own a car (or get a second job). It doesn't sound like Florida is stupid. It sounds like someone else in this thread is.

extatic002
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
so ^^^ if your "homeless" how the fuck are u always on TR? u have been here for 3 months and have over a 1000 posts..Looks to me like u got somewhere to go

MeGsTeR
08-06-2009, 10:26 AM
You should have insurance on the car you own and drive. If you dont.... then take the bus. If you have a car that your not driving..... have your insurance drop it till your ready to drive it again. If you have to choose between eating and paying insurance.... you shouldn't own a car (or get a second job). It doesn't sound like Florida is stupid. It sounds like someone else in this thread is.
+45671234567564234894

Sabotage
08-06-2009, 11:30 AM
yes, florida has state reporting so the insurance company is required to inform the state when coverage has been removed/added/canceled, ect.
whether or not or when the state actually acts on that is up to them, but they know.
you can still have a vehicle registered w/only pip and pd liab as florida is gay and only requires those coverages to get a tag. so, you could bring it down to that. however, every company i know of requires you to have the same limits on all vehicles and that is not enough to meet the fl financial responsibility law which requires you to also have bi in order to legally drive on the road. .....which is why fl rates are so high, bc theres about 1/4- 1/3 drivers on the road w/out bi liab.

BosnianLanos
08-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Driving without insurance is the most selfish fucking thing you can do.

And yeah, most insurance companies will offer some sort of "storage insurance" (had it one one of my cars) it's not necessarily the cheapest thing to do at maybe $15-$35/month, but your other option is just canceling insurance and turning in the tag. You still OWN the car (if you have the title), when you're ready to get back on the road, just go down to the DMV and get a new tag. Granted, with the new prices being implemented on Sep. 1st, it may be more expensive than just paying the storage insurance.

Just figure out the cheaper alternative, paying storage insurance, or turning in the tag and getting another later.

SayWhaa?
08-06-2009, 12:14 PM

+1 it saved my ass in my bike accident... if i didnt have that coverage i would of been fucked.

95coBraSVT
08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I sold a car, kept the plate. Not currently insured on that anymore, also not currently registered....but I kept the plate for the future for any "deals" I might find.

When I had my insurance lapse (due to my wife not paying it :rolleyes: ) the insurance company sent a letter to me AND the finance company. The finance company then sent a letter to the state informing them of my lack of insurance. The state sent ME a letter saying that I had to either get insurance, return the plate, or face license suspension.

If you're going to drop the insurance, then let the state know it's going into storage. Your best bet is to go to the DMV and talk to them. ;)

Signal7cbr!
08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
i dont pay car insurance for the car i do drive, being poor FTL! dont have insurance for it, they wont check unless you get pulled over in it, and you wont be driving it. unless you have it in a parking lot at an apartment you should be fine. :dunno:

aaand apparently youre 16 years old.

im sorry but its been said before....if you cant afford insurance you shouldnt have a car. take the bus...a cab...carpool....ride a bicycle....but your ideals of "homeless vs car insurance" ploy is retarded.

i can remember when i was 16 spending 350 bucks a month on car insurance working a minimum wage job....all the hours i put in at work was just enough for insurance and gas.

do you think id own a car like that now that i have rent..electric...water..and other expenditures now that im all "grown" up?

no its priorities before luxuries my man....youll learn this one day.