View Full Version : Attention: Florida Exhaust Laws, Read Before Posting!

BAMF
07-16-2007, 01:08 AM
With the excessive amounts of exhaust ticket posts we've been getting, I decided it would be a good idea to make a post to address any questions you may have. I discussed this with TIM TIM TIM, can someone please sticky and/or lock this after I'm done with my posts?

First, a list of relevant Florida statutes. Please see my next post for applications and "what this means to you":

316.272Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=316.272&URL=CH0316/Sec272.HTM) Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--
(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

316.293Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=316.293&URL=CH0316/Sec293.HTM) Motor vehicle noise.--
2) OPERATING NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall operate or be permitted to operate a vehicle at any time or under any condition of roadway grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit for the category of motor vehicle and applicable speed limit at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under measurement procedures established under subsection (3).

(a) For motorcycles other than motor-driven cycles:

35 mph or less / over 35 mph
Before January 1, 1979 82 dB / 86 dB
On or after January 1, 1979 78 dB / 82 dB

(b) For any motor vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,000 pounds or more:
On or after January 1, 1975 86 dB / 90 dB

(c) For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b):
Before January 1, 1979 76 dB / 82 dB
On or after January 1, 1979 72 dB / 79 dB

(3) MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES.--The measurement procedures for determining compliance with this section shall be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.415(9), in cooperation with the department. Such regulations shall include the selection of measurement sites and measurement procedures and shall take into consideration accepted scientific and professional methods for the measurement of vehicular sound levels. The measurement procedures may include adjustment factors to be applied to the noise limit for measurement distances of other than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel.

(4) APPLICABILITY.--This section applies to the total noise from a vehicle and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other provisions of this chapter relating to motor vehicle mufflers for noise control.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

403.415Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=316.293&URL=Ch0403/Sec415.HTM)Motor vehicle noise.--

(1) SHORT TITLE.--This act shall be known and may be cited as the "Florida Motor Vehicle Noise Prevention and Control Act of 1974."

(2)(a) LEGISLATIVE INTENT.--The intent of the Legislature is to implement the state constitutional mandate of s. 7, Art. II of the State Constitution to improve the quality of life in the state by limiting the noise of new motor vehicles sold in the state and the noise of motor vehicles used on the highways of the state.

(b) It is also the intent of the Legislature to recognize the proposed United States Environmental Protection Act Noise Commission Standards Regulations for medium and heavy-duty trucks as being the most comprehensive available and in the best interest of Florida's citizenry and, further, that such regulation shall preempt all state standards not identical to such regulation.

(3) DEFINITIONS.--The following words and phrases when used in this section shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in this subsection, except where the context otherwise requires:

(a) "dB A" means the composite abbreviation for A-weighted sound level, and the unit of sound level, the decibel.

(b) "Gross combination weight rating" or "GCWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination vehicle.

(c) "Gross vehicle weight rating" or "GVWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

(d) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle which is self-propelled and any vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails.

(e) "Motorcycle" means any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or a moped.

(f) "Moped" means any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

(g) "Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only A-weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.

(h) "Vehicle" means any device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

(i) "Department" means the Department of Environmental Protection.

(4) NEW VEHICLE NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall sell, offer for sale, or lease a new motor vehicle that produces a maximum sound level exceeding the following limits at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under test procedures established under subsection (5)

(5) TEST PROCEDURES.--The test procedures for determining compliance with this section shall be established by regulation of the department and in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles in substantial conformance with applicable standards and recommended practices established by the Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., or its successor bodies, and the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, for the measurement of motor vehicle sound levels.

(6) CERTIFICATION.--The manufacturer, distributor, importer, or designated agent thereof shall file a written certificate with the department stating that the specific makes and models of motor vehicles described thereon comply with the provisions of this section. No new motor vehicle shall be sold, offered for sale, or leased unless such certificate has been filed.

(7) NOTIFICATION OF CERTIFICATION.--The department shall notify the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles of all makes and models of motor vehicles for which valid certificates of compliance with the provisions of this section are filed.

(8) REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT.--

(a) No person shall sell or offer for sale for use as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle any exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other noise abatement device which, when installed, will permit the vehicle to be operated in a manner that the emitted sound level of the vehicle is increased above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured and determined by the test procedures for new motor vehicle sound levels established under this section.

(b) The manufacturer, distributor, or importer, or designated agent thereof, shall file a written certificate with the department that his or her products sold within this state comply with the requirements of this section for their intended applications.

(9) OPERATING VEHICLE NOISE MEASUREMENTS.--The department shall establish, with the cooperation of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, measurement procedures for determining compliance of operating vehicles with the noise limits of s. 316.293(2). The department shall advise the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles on technical aspects of motor vehicle noise enforcement regulations, assist in the training of enforcement officers, and administer a sound-level meter loan program for local enforcement agencies.

(10) ENACTMENT OF LOCAL ORDINANCES LIMITED.--The provisions of this section shall be applicable and uniform throughout this state and in all political subdivisions and municipalities therein, and no local authority shall enact or enforce any ordinance on a matter covered by this section unless expressly authorized. However, this subsection shall not prevent any local authority from enacting an ordinance when such enactment is necessary to vest jurisdiction of violation of this section in the local court.

BAMF
07-16-2007, 01:13 AM
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU
The law states that you MAY modify your exhaust system. You may not modify it in such a way that:

-You remove any of the exhaust components
-It emits excessive pollution
-It is louder than the stock muffler

This is not a gray area. There is no fighting this. You must adhere to these guidelines or you are liable for a ticket. If your exhaust is aftermarket and even .0000001dB louder than stock you are liable for a ticket. If you are missing a part of your exhaust system you are liable for a ticket. Shops, by state law, are not to equip your car with an aftermarket muffler which increases your exhaust noise for operation on the public roadways. Replacement exhaust components must be OEM or aftermarket and as quiet as OEM.

Just because your aftermarket exhaust is stamped '50 state legal' does not mean you cannot be ticketed. You most certianly can. I do not claim to be an expert on what they mean by 50 state legal, but I can tell you that it is NOT legal to operate a motor vehicle with an aftermarket exhaust that makes it louder. Period.

There is also nothing in this statute which says the officer has to use a decibel meter to measure your exhaust. It does not have to be louder than a certain decibel to be illegal. It simply has to be louder than stock. While the law instructs specific areas to set their own methods of measurement, it does not take a decibel meter to figure out if an exhaust is louder than stock.

Graves
07-16-2007, 01:15 AM
So one is to assume every cop knows the decibel level every car produces in stock form?

K20A2
07-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Very good info,I was getting tired of seeing the exhaust ticket threads also.

BAMF
07-16-2007, 01:18 AM
So one is to assume every cop knows the decibel level every car produces in stock form?

One is to assume an aftermarket exhaust is noticably louder than stock. If your exhaust is truly about the same decibel level as stock then chances are you aren't going to be bothered because of it. It doesn't take a car guru to realize that your 1.6L 4-cyl vehicle's exhaust doesn't rattle the windowsills of the vehicles near you in stock form.

Graves
07-16-2007, 01:21 AM
One is to assume an aftermarket exhaust is noticably louder than stock. If your exhaust is truly about the same decibel level as stock then chances are you aren't going to be bothered because of it. It doesn't take a car guru to realize that your 1.6L 4-cyl vehicle's exhaust doesn't rattle the windowsills of the vehicles near you in stock form.

I know. Just no matter what the cop has the end authority to say "I think" it's louder even if it is possibly quieter.

BAMF
07-16-2007, 01:23 AM
I know. Just no matter what the cop has the end authority to say "I think" it's louder even if it is possibly quieter.

You're reaching a bit to think that a cop is going to pull you over and hassle you about an aftermarket exhaust that is the same or quieter than your stock one. By reaching, I mean I have never heard of it happening. Ever.

However, should this happen and you're written a ticket for improper equipment when your equipment is indeed not improper you should simply challenge the ticket and it will be thrown out. The police know this as well, which is why you likely won't be bothered if you're in the right.

Graves
07-16-2007, 01:27 AM
You're reaching a bit to think that a cop is going to pull you over and hassle you about an aftermarket exhaust that is the same or quieter than your stock one. By reaching, I mean I have never heard of it happening. Ever.

LOL in that case would you like to drive me to work in my car next week lol. I've had it happen twice. First cop went down a list of reasons(weaving in and out of traffic going 25 mph, exhaust, then my seat belts weren't DOT approved) he could ticket me then after 45 minutes let me go. Second cop pulled me over to tell me my exhaust is illegal. Both were pissed when I mentioned that the stock components were still all there lol. Needless to say both times I received nothing but a hard time. I think it's just the location I work and times. Sucks working off 118th ave and 28th street.

It's a bs ticket, since they don't really evenly enforce it.

John
07-16-2007, 02:01 AM

you've heard one now. I got pulled and the cop told me he pulled me over b/c of my "shiny exhaust". My exhaust is as close to stock quiet as it gets, but the stock exhaust is pretty loud by itself. There's been a few cases on the Evo forums from guys getting exhaust tickets for stock, unmodified exhausts. No joke.

BAMF
07-16-2007, 02:05 AM
John, can you sticky this, or sticky/lock?

Also, are we talking about people in Florida? Remember laws vary by state. If the exhaust is actually as quiet as (or actually) stock then you can simply go to court and have it overturned.

itsjustaneon
07-16-2007, 02:09 AM
yeah, srt-4's get hasseled to even stock.
my supra has a greddy exhaust that is stamped 50 state street legal. So I can just show the cop that. As long as your car isnt fucking retarted loud or annoying i doubt you will get messed with. but there are gay ass traffic pigs out there.

BAMF
07-16-2007, 02:11 AM
yeah, srt-4's get hasseled to even stock.
my supra has a greddy exhaust that is stamped 50 state street legal. So I can just show the cop that. As long as your car isnt fucking retarted loud or annoying i doubt you will get messed with. but there are gay ass traffic pigs out there.

No. No you can't just show the cop that. Dammit, I make a thread with the information in it, quote the statutes, and you people still don't read.

If its louder than stock you get a ticket. Period. I don't care what its 'stamped' as.

Brownsound
07-16-2007, 02:14 AM
The 'stamp' means it's 50 state emissions legal; that has nothing to do with decibel levels or any states' laws pertaining.
Great info this needs to be stickied.

Lumberjack
07-16-2007, 02:17 AM
ive never once been pulled over for my exhaust. and i have dumps

Geno
07-16-2007, 02:31 AM
oh man that sucks. what if its under the 79 db and its "modifyed" would that still be illegal?

BAMF
07-16-2007, 02:37 AM
oh man that sucks. what if its under the 79 db and its "modifyed" would that still be illegal?

If its louder than stock its illegal, no matter if its under the db limit or not.

Geno
07-16-2007, 02:39 AM
oh alright just checking. but thanks for the info good to know that now

Na306StAnG
07-16-2007, 02:42 AM
ive never once been pulled over for my exhaust. and i have dumps

Me either and I have 3 inch and dumps and we were ridin super dirty yesterday. I do seam to think they pick on the imports more then anyone. But thats fine with me.

Geno
07-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Me either and I have 3 inch and dumps and we were ridin super dirty yesterday. I do seam to think they pick on the imports more then anyone. But thats fine with me.

ya they do :(

Zate
07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
stickied this, it will remain open until the name calling/bullshit gets too much then I'll clean it up and lock it. Will keep it stickied though as its good info.

This isnt the thread ti debate the who/why of when you got a ticket. Create your own thread for that.

nismo
07-16-2007, 01:38 PM
On some exhaust systems, doesn't it say "For offroad use only"?

BAMF
07-16-2007, 01:46 PM
On some exhaust systems, doesn't it say "For offroad use only"?

Thats mostly for enviromental reasons, though. The products don't really address the issue of noise pollution laws like we have here in their warnings and disclaimers.

angelR82
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
If You Have An Import You Get A Ticket For Loud Exhaust If You Have A Domestic Or Clasic Chevy Or For And Even Do Your Exhaust Explodes Every Ear Drum Within A Mile Radious You Don Get A Ticke Becassue Old Fart Cops Like Them If The Cops Like Your Ride You Have A Higher Chance Of Getting A Way With A Ticket And I Have Had Both And Never Got A Ticket With A Domestic Car But With 86 Corolla I Got 2 And My Accord Wagon I Got 1 Never Got One On My Chevys

MY OPINION ONLY!!!

myltwon
07-16-2007, 02:38 PM
my exhaust setup is headers with no emissions hook up, a 3" cutout that leads to 3" pipping with no pesky cats straight to a race bullet and then out the back

I've gotten nothing but compliments from cops...god I love owning a v8

angelR82
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
see what i mean im sure any v8 owner can say they have gotten a warning or no ticket at all but imports get picked on becasue of immaturety

myltwon
07-16-2007, 02:54 PM
see what i mean im sure any v8 owner can say they have gotten a warning or no ticket at all but imports get picked on becasue of immaturety

just keep this thread on-topic, it's made for the educational of exhaust laws not debate on equality from import to domestic

20+
07-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Just b/c I don't feel like reading the statute. What does that mean to the Harleys and other bikes that are a million times louder than cars going down the road ?????

BAMF
07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Just b/c I don't feel like reading the statute. What does that mean to the Harleys and other bikes that are a million times louder than cars going down the road ?????

They can be ticketed. The reasons they never are ticketed do not belong in this thread.

myltwon
07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
bikes fall under different guidelines

Geno
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
for bikes they are supposed to be 82 db stock and harleys and loud as hell!

Jordan T
07-19-2007, 06:16 PM
fuck the police!

plazma
07-28-2007, 08:49 PM
How do you or them determine how loud your car is supposed to be stock if it's an older car?

I never heard my car with all the stock exhaust as it had rusted away 15 years earlier. I'd be curious of how loud it actually was.

Troux
08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
As stated before, if it's not obnoxious, don't worry about it, and you won't get ticketed. If it's modified at all, it's probably louder than stock and they have the right to ticket you. Your exhaust rusting to pieces isn't an excuse to break the law. It's up to you to replace it with an OEM or quieter exhaust. Generally, regardless of make, if it's modified but not flashy or very loud, you're gonna be fine, but just about everyone on this website breaks this law daily, so just know we're in a risky hobby.

bolistik
08-29-2007, 06:08 PM
whats the average ticket cost for someone who's exhaust is louder than stock & for a vehicle thats missing muffler tips?

After paying for the ticket, are you forced to replace the exhaust? or can you keep the same exhaust and continue risking more tickets?

zharra
09-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Oh well nobody likes speeding tickets as well as exhaust tickets.
If you can do something about the speed I'm pretty sure you can also
do something with the exhaust too. I haven't been getting any exhaust
tickets since I got dodge catalytic converter (http://www.aftermarketperformanceparts.com/dodge-catalytic-converter.html)

m260gt
09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
i have never got a ticket or even a warning for my exhaust. been pulled over twice for other things and the cop never said anything about exhaust. i have my cats removed and flowmaster mufflers. its loud.lol.

samakaballer
09-25-2007, 11:31 PM
If You Have An Import You Get A Ticket For Loud Exhaust If You Have A Domestic Or Clasic Chevy Or For And Even Do Your Exhaust Explodes Every Ear Drum Within A Mile Radious You Don Get A Ticke Becassue Old Fart Cops Like Them If The Cops Like Your Ride You Have A Higher Chance Of Getting A Way With A Ticket And I Have Had Both And Never Got A Ticket With A Domestic Car But With 86 Corolla I Got 2 And My Accord Wagon I Got 1 Never Got One On My Chevys

MY OPINION ONLY!!!

Cops like my car but i dont have an aftermarket exhaust.. i was thikning about flowmasters real soon but now that i read this im thinking different but it wont be REAL REAL loud so im not going to worry 2 much

samakaballer
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
i have never got a ticket or even a warning for my exhaust. been pulled over twice for other things and the cop never said anything about exhaust. i have my cats removed and flowmaster mufflers. its loud.lol.

4.6 liter engine??? i was going to do the same thing have cats taken off, with 40 series flowmasters i know of a few with my kinda car setup like that with no trouble from officers (crown victoria).. but i'll leave the cats if i get flowmasters im not even into the noise that much as long as it has a little v8 hum 2 it

samakaballer
09-25-2007, 11:39 PM
lol, an cops mess with the "imports" more because the majority of the people that drive them are mid/late teens.. and there's a image that cars that r fast r supposed to be v8's/muscle cars , not ur pizza delivery car with a science project as exhaust... i was driving last night around midnight and seen at least about 5 "imports" but most likely ricers driving fast as hell and there were 2 that were racing each other how fuckin dumb... they get the bad attention due to the majority of people tha tdrive them... and for the people that dont fuck around it sucks... i get pulled over in my car because cops think im a drug dealer i think/once in a while my system (but cops give me breaks on it) , but that doesn't affect me 1 bit because im clean... and i've gotten a few compliments by cops about my car so it makes me feel better...

and another thing, always be friendly to the cops... if your not friendly they're always gonna fuck with you no matter what, and if u fuck with one they do tell other cops about what kind of car and how muc hof an asshole u were, and they'll get u on dumbshit later down the road,, trust me... if ur an asshole once to a cop, ur going to be fucked with later on for a while.....

K20A2
09-26-2007, 12:46 AM
lol, an cops mess with the "imports" more because the majority of the people that drive them are mid/late teens.. and there's a image that cars that r fast r supposed to be v8's/muscle cars , not ur pizza delivery car with a science project as exhaust... i was driving last night around midnight and seen at least about 5 "imports" but most likely ricers driving fast as hell and there were 2 that were racing each other how fuckin dumb... they get the bad attention due to the majority of people tha tdrive them... and for the people that dont fuck around it sucks... i get pulled over in my car because cops think im a drug dealer i think/once in a while my system (but cops give me breaks on it) , but that doesn't affect me 1 bit because im clean... and i've gotten a few compliments by cops about my car so it makes me feel better...

and another thing, always be friendly to the cops... if your not friendly they're always gonna fuck with you no matter what, and if u fuck with one they do tell other cops about what kind of car and how muc hof an asshole u were, and they'll get u on dumbshit later down the road,, trust me... if ur an asshole once to a cop, ur going to be fucked with later on for a while.....

Didn't you get banned?

samakaballer
09-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Didn't you get banned?

um, no... I just haven't been on the site in forever... on my way 2 get halo 3 the other night I saw plenty of these imports driving around LOL,made me want to come back.

And fill me in on why I would get banned.

K20A2
09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
um, no... I just haven't been on the site in forever... on my way 2 get halo 3 the other night I saw plenty of these imports driving around LOL,made me want to come back.

And fill me in on why I would get banned.

Because of all your ridiculous donk threads and annoying tendencies?

samakaballer
09-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Because of all your ridiculous donk threads and annoying tendencies?

i didn't start the donk thread....

i started one video thread about a car show that included donks, speed bikes , and oldschool muscle cars (that were performance vehicles with no big rims,etc)....

If i use the forums now i just want to talk about the mechanics of the car and problems , etc... i'm not bringing the rim thing in here again because people cry about it.

DaREDss
10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I asked my nieghbor who is a cop and a guy who comes into the subway where my friends work. Both said basically if its louder then a stock gt exhaust you will get attention, But if they dont here it with there windows up then they dont care what you did to the exhaust. Just dont be stupid if your ghey ass civic is louder then a v8 with dumps your gonna get pulled over.

samakaballer
10-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I asked my nieghbor who is a cop and a guy who comes into the subway where my friends work. Both said basically if its louder then a stock gt exhaust you will get attention, But if they dont here it with there windows up then they dont care what you did to the exhaust. Just dont be stupid if your ghey ass civic is louder then a v8 with dumps your gonna get pulled over.

There's some people out here with mustang gt's with dual exhaust with there catalytic converters taken out so it's a lot louder , i was thinking about doing the same thing whe ni got dual exhaust but idk if it's worth the risk.. not only is it gona get me a ticket for exhaust but could be a lottt worse if they see those catz taken off.... people with mustangs and other crown victorias like my car tell me not to worry cops dont really care about it....

samakaballer
10-18-2007, 11:27 PM

AHhhh ... i heard a grand marquis with flowmasters and i could hear it in my car DAmn i hope cops dont get on me when i get the exhaust on my car....

Gooser
10-18-2007, 11:28 PM
They wont...they will just think grandma has an exhaust leak.

ChrisN1313
11-29-2007, 05:34 AM
i guess its mostly imports. Hell anytime I get pulled over or at a light next to a cop they usually tell me nice car or it sounds good. Right now it has dumps on it with an off-road h pipe. Very loud.

I got pulled over 1 time when I was running open headers and he never said anything about the exhaust. You guys must have some bad luck... or I have really good luck:lol:

noodlesauz
11-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I drive an Impreza with a loud nice sounding exhaust, so maybe they think it's a WRX and don't care?

CrypticApathy
12-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I've had them as well for a stock exhaust. After about the 10th ticket I spent about 1k on a fully build exhaust built to the specs of the stock version just with updated cats. Igot a ticket for it still.

slomojoe
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Great Post...lots of good info. I'm runnin dumps and an off-road H pipe now and I've never been hassled, but I guess it depends on the cop and the kind of day he's had!

SupaSonyk
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
thanks for the info. I got a greddy exhaust on my eclipse gt n its pretty loud with hard accelaration. i thought i was safe with the "legal" in 50 states stamp. I'll still keep it, just wont push the ride as much. Thanks again

Chuck 98 RT/10
01-26-2008, 03:51 AM
I don't know why I opened this thread but as I got to studying the laws that BAMF posted I got to thinking how fucking ridiculous it is that our lawmakers put so much effort into the details of a law that will pertain to less than 1/10 of 1% of the cars on the road, modified exhaust of which are nothing more than a rare annoyance and really aren't harming anybody.

Fucking ridiculous that they put that much effort into something so insignificant like exhausts.

There is no freedom.

1QUIK930
01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Got pulled over in my civic few years ago. Gave me a warning. My porsche is twice as loud and I have not been stopped once! i think cops around here (especially HCSO) target specific people just to have a reason to pull u over..

So_Sli
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I was pulled over in my first Eclipse for exhaust. I told the cop it wasn't any louder than a Mustang Cobra, or for that matter, a Harley!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/a/7/6/a765b45e6deab55d0588e858a0a07c6c.gif

Swifster
03-29-2008, 10:14 PM
For those with older muscle cars, check your cars parts book. Odds are there are glasspacks or chambered exhaust listed as an OEM option. This isn't a law I'll have to worry about when there is a OEM part number for the glasspacks straight from the factory.

chrisarella
05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
For the record, a stock WRX is 87dB and an STI is 92dB. Those are measured from a complete stop within 3' so the final reading will vary at 35mph from 50'. I'm not sure how much though, but those numbers are considerably higher than the statute. I got EL headers on my car which helped quiet my car down but then added a TurboXS axle back which brought it back up a little. I'm probably at or just above stock but I never get harassed up here in NY. We'll see when I move to FL.

KillTheNoise
05-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't know why I opened this thread but as I got to studying the laws that BAMF posted I got to thinking how fucking ridiculous it is that our lawmakers put so much effort into the details of a law that will pertain to less than 1/10 of 1% of the cars on the road, modified exhaust of which are nothing more than a rare annoyance and really aren't harming anybody.

Fucking ridiculous that they put that much effort into something so insignificant like exhausts.

There is no freedom.

Freedom? What about the Freedom to sleep? The Freedom to minimize damage to your ears? The Freedom to have a conversation with someone and have them actually hear you? The Freedom to listen to your own radio/music and not have it drowned out? The Freedom to let your baby have a decent nap?

The truth is that loud exhaust systems, loud cars, loud stereos that boom, really do hurt a lot of people. People continuously exposed to noise experience elevated stress levels, mood swings, hypertension, depression, lost sleep and productivity.

I live in a neighborhood that has several individuals with extremely loud cars and motorcycles. I have called Law Enforcement on over a dozen occasions and they have been ticketed, but they just pay the fine and don't care. These vehicles are loud enough to be heard over a mile away, as I have heard my neighbor leave his house (its hard to miss, since it rattles my walls) and, while inside my house, I can hear him make the turn at the four way stop a half mile away, and then proceed to the stoplight another half mile, and then gun it on the county road. If I go outside I can hear him for a minute or so after that.

The noise wakes my husband and I up numerous times at night as they leave and return. It keeps our baby from having an uninterrupted nap throughout the day or night, and it really sucks that I can't hear my husband across the table at dinner because our neighbor is letting his car idle.

This is especially true for cars with loud bass systems, that shake a house and rattle the windows.

I see that there are some here that are responsible and only have moderately loud systems, but I just wanted to say that obscenely loud systems do negatively affect a lot of people, and it is NOT a minor annoyance.

I guess I should have the freedom to setup a train horn and point it at your house and set it to go off at odd hours during the night or day for minutes on end? Would you be so enthusiastic then?

Be considerate to your neighbors and those around you.

chrisarella
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
^^^ Then there should simply be a decibel level maximum (about 94dB like the state of CA has) instead of limiting ALL non-OEM exhausts. As it stands, construction vehicles and tractor trailers can roll through your neighborhood and and cause more air and noise pollution than a lot of aftermarket exhausts (mine in particular), but those vehicles are considered legal by the state of Florida. So why is that?

Discuss.

KillTheNoise
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
^^^ Then there should simply be a decibel level maximum (about 94dB like the state of CA has) instead of limiting ALL non-OEM exhausts. As it stands, construction vehicles and tractor trailers can roll through your neighborhood and and cause more air and noise pollution than a lot of aftermarket exhausts (mine in particular), but those vehicles are considered legal by the state of Florida. So why is that?

Discuss.

Probably because folks don't usually live next to a person that drives one of those construction vehicles regularly. Also these don't tend to operate at night. And the impact that these vehicles have is usually temporary while a structure is constructed, or a road is built and/or paved. They are also considered necessary in society to expand, build, and maintain structures and various utilities. Also permission is typically received for such vehicles and construction to be used during pre-determined hours to minimize impact on residents within ear-shot. As for the sound, they tend to be quieter than most after-market noisy exhaust systems that I have heard.

They are still annoying, but one tends to deal with it as they know it is only temporary until the construction of maintenance is completed.

chrisarella
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I see by your username and your post count you are never going to see this differently and are only here to argue about this. Do you even own a car? What are you doing on here anyway? b-bye.

KillTheNoise
05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
I see by your username and your post count you are never going to see this differently and are only here to argue about this. Do you even own a car? What are you doing on here anyway? b-bye.

Okay, help me see it differently. Convince me, as I'd love to wake up in the middle of night from exhaust noise, or booming cars and smile, thinking how wonderful they are. I'd love to wake up from the cries of my sleeping baby because some loud exhuasted vehicle rockets by, scaring my child. I'd love to revel in every deep rumble and cherish every loud whine as they speed by my home. Help me to happily give up my freedoms for a good nights sleep, for peace of mind, for my child to have a restful nights sleep. Help me see the light. Tell me the purpose of these loud exhaust systems, help me to love them.

CONVINCE ME.

chrisarella
05-20-2008, 10:21 PM
are you always this dramatic? :roll:

mattitude240
05-23-2008, 03:51 PM
There is nothing you can really do..just abide by the law or watch your ass. I do believe that he did post this thread to help all of us out. He did give us all of the information needed to answer all ?s. But in the same instance there are cases in which the officer is wrong..but what can you do? All it does is cost you time and agrivation. But like i said...what can you do?

OneCleanS14
06-09-2008, 12:57 AM
if i get pulled over for modified exhaust and get a ticket, do i have to put the stock exhaust back on, or can i just pay the ticket, and keep the exhaust, move on with my life and just be at risk for getting another ticket?

omgwtfbbq!
06-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Okay, help me see it differently. Convince me, as I'd love to wake up in the middle of night from exhaust noise, or booming cars and smile, thinking how wonderful they are. I'd love to wake up from the cries of my sleeping baby because some loud exhuasted vehicle rockets by, scaring my child. I'd love to revel in every deep rumble and cherish every loud whine as they speed by my home. Help me to happily give up my freedoms for a good nights sleep, for peace of mind, for my child to have a restful nights sleep. Help me see the light. Tell me the purpose of these loud exhaust systems, help me to love them.

CONVINCE ME.

You need to buy a house that isn't shitty with paper thin walls Mrs. troll.

and S13, you don't have to do anything. You can only be ticketed once a month, so once you get an exhaust ticket you're good for 30 days, then they can ticket you again. But you don't have to change anything if you don't want to.

OneCleanS14
06-14-2008, 01:05 AM
ok thank you. ive been trying to find out that answer for a while! Repped for the help!

KillTheNoise
07-16-2008, 01:38 PM
You need to buy a house that isn't shitty with paper thin walls Mrs. troll.

My home is brick with Dolby Certified Drywall on the interior, the windows are also double-paned enhanced glass that is suppose to have sound proofing qualities. Unfortunately it is still unable to block the sounds of incredibly loud exhaust systems that transmit vibrations that physically shake the walls and rattle the windows with it's deep drones or high whines.

I can only imagine how loud it must be for someone with a 'paper thin wall' home.

From the posts, I have determined that there is no logical reason for such loud exhaust systems besides it being a way for people to get attention. It also takes a special person, one with a deep sense of apathy and little to no consideration for others, to have such a disruptive 'mod' put onto their vehicle.

K20A2
07-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Is your life seriously that shitty that you have to get on a public forum,to bitch and complain about exhaust systems?

Wow.

kaluwa
07-28-2008, 02:07 PM
^ I have a feeling that killthenoise guy is BAMF aka VIP

TunerElite
07-28-2008, 02:25 PM
My home is brick with Dolby Certified Drywall on the interior, the windows are also double-paned enhanced glass that is suppose to have sound proofing qualities. Unfortunately it is still unable to block the sounds of incredibly loud exhaust systems that transmit vibrations that physically shake the walls and rattle the windows with it's deep drones or high whines.

I can only imagine how loud it must be for someone with a 'paper thin wall' home.

From the posts, I have determined that there is no logical reason for such loud exhaust systems besides it being a way for people to get attention. It also takes a special person, one with a deep sense of apathy and little to no consideration for others, to have such a disruptive 'mod' put onto their vehicle.

and my neighbors dog barks at ridiculous fucking hours of the night and morning and i cant sleep sometimes either, but my HOA doesnt do shit, and the police cant do shit either, so fucking deal.

omgwtfbbq!
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Someone hack the troll and find public records of their address so I can sit infront of their house bouncing off the rev limiter till my car overheats.

philliez
08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
oops

purplez28
08-18-2008, 11:23 PM
fuck my slps.... lol , im dicked....

.Seth.
08-19-2008, 11:57 PM
info info!

Dr. Litman
08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Sorry if this has been already mentioned, but it's not a noise issue, per se -- they have pulled me over for "having a modified exhaust". That's it.

I haven't gotten a ticket yet, and the cop generally admits that it's mainly an excuse to harass people... but, I believe the FL statutes are sufficiently ambiguous such that they can enforce this "no modifications" law pretty much however they see fit.

KillTheNoise
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Seriously, what is the reason for loud exhausts? And do you guys really not care about waking people up in the dead of the night?

All I have seen so far is immaturity, with folks telling me to "Deal with it" and others wanting to stalk me so they can come to my home and rev their engines.

As for the guy who stated that they had a neighbor with a dog that barks, the cops can, and will do something about it. Just give them a call, and I would also recommend calling the local Humane society.

Loud exhausts are disrespectful, unnecessary, and a literal hazard to your hearing and health.

omgwtfbbq!
09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Holy damn its the troll with the paper thin walls. I forgot all about you.

The justification for (not necessarily a louder) a larger exhaust is that alot of vehicles with these systems are modified. Granted alot of them are kids with fart cans, but some of them are legit. If you put a turbo on your car, you're going to need something much bigger than your stock exhaust, generally around 3'' turbo-back. This increases the VE of your engine, as well as the power. The side effect is, the car is louder. Since florida has no inspections and no emissions laws, we are free to modify our cars in any way we please, and you are free to reinsulate your paper thin house, or move to an apartment on a high floor of some building. Then you'd never have to deal with it "rattling your walls".

You won't change the minds of the 50,000+ members of this website, we're just going to make fun of you till you give up.

OMGVTEC
09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Haha all his 5 posts are in this thread, what a loser hahaha. He must subscribe to it and be like OMG E-MAIL, NEW POST ZOMG!!1!ONE11!

flashmatrix
09-11-2008, 08:14 PM
i for one had the shiny fart pipe loud as hell on my civic, till i got pulled by the local pig convention. lesson learned. so what did i do? i threw on a cheap dyno max chambered muffler (which quieted it down), rattle canned it flat black, and just added an exhaust cutout for "spirited driving" right after the header before the resonator. i havent been fucked with a cop for exhaust since. its been 4 years already. if youve got a shiny or modified looking exhaust, your gonna get fucked with. no matter how quiet it is. if it looks and sounds factory OEMish your fine.

TunerElite
09-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Seriously, what is the reason for loud exhausts? And do you guys really not care about waking people up in the dead of the night?

All I have seen so far is immaturity, with folks telling me to "Deal with it" and others wanting to stalk me so they can come to my home and rev their engines.

As for the guy who stated that they had a neighbor with a dog that barks, the cops can, and will do something about it. Just give them a call, and I would also recommend calling the local Humane society.

Loud exhausts are disrespectful, unnecessary, and a literal hazard to your hearing and health.

NO THEY WONT, but thx for you not so helpful half-retarded troll input, ive called them before and ive called my HOA, and what the fuck is the humane society going to do? Are you fucking serious man? Shut the fuck up while your ahead.

SilvCivOn17s
09-23-2008, 03:00 AM
i got a exhaust ticket tonight. i told the cop that my muffler was stolen tonight, and he asked if i had a police report filed. i told him no and he asked me why not, i told him i didnt like the exhaust anyway and i have a new one on the way. he gave me a 89 dollar ticket anyway, do i have any chance of getting out of this one?

.Seth.
09-23-2008, 03:38 AM
^nope lol

you cant prove it was stolen the night before.

TheRichMan
10-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm one of those kids with the fart pipes lol (with a silencer though) and when I got pulled over the first time the cop mentioned it to me that it was illegal but didn't ticket me for it. He also checked my sound system, made sure all my lights worked, made me rev my engine for him, etc. Just one of those dick cops that was lookin for something to ticket me for. My pipe doesn't look as goofy as a lot of others I don't think but just gotta be careful... a lot of cops out there will try to get you for anything if your the stereotypical 16 year old kid with a loud civic.

buylow
10-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I got a DC sports exhaust on my Civic. I get pull over cause it a 4" SS tip. It not as loud as many of these fart can exhaust, but you get pulled cause of the way it looks.

Maybe it time to paint it rust color..

Fast420A
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU

There is also nothing in this statute which says the officer has to use a decibel meter to measure your exhaust. It does not have to be louder than a certain decibel to be illegal. It simply has to be louder than stock. While the law instructs specific areas to set their own methods of measurement, it does not take a decibel meter to figure out if an exhaust is louder than stock.

Actually it does.

"Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only A-weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.

Here's some info on A weighting. A-weighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting)

skoloseven
10-20-2008, 02:41 AM
I've found that most cops don't enforce this law b/c it is a WASTE OF TIME. There is domestic violence, murder, robbery, rape, child molesting, goat sex--ROFLMAO-- etc to worry about.

Keep your self civilized with your aftermarket exhaust and you'll be alright. A clutch helps. :D

D15superman
10-21-2008, 01:02 PM
god damn there are some assholes on TR.

KilltheNoise is just trying to get across her point of view, and although i run open headers on ALL my cars. i agree completely, respect other people's acoustic space. dont fcuking wake people up in there homes and be dicks about your loud exhaust. THATS why retards get tickets for exhaust louder than stock.

i ran open header on my old high compression N/A civic all the time, for Pizza delivery in fact. i had been pulled over a ton of times b/c delivering anything in the ghetto gets the cops attention, but not once did i get an exhaust noise ticket, Why? not luck, not sweet talking the cops, its just NOT revving your motor and being an idiot where it affects people.

.Seth.
10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
^:lol:

your just a stupid as he or she is.

elcubanaso7mgte
11-24-2008, 02:10 AM
i got pulled over on causeway last saturday for having a modified exhaust and my exhaust is not even that loud it just has a deep noise to it anyway the cop just told me that no matter how loud it is if is modified then its illegal i think we should stand up for our rights and complain cuz its the only way their gonna get rid of this stupid ass laws

elcubanaso7mgte
11-24-2008, 02:30 AM
look if your house is really like that then i would love to see what cars exhaust be shaking ur windows because i dont think a lambo with a modified exhaust has the power to shake anyones walls but anyway i know that some people are just asshole and like the attention but why should i have to give up my freedom for others actions is a stupid law i think there should be a noise limit but getting pulled over just because you have a modified exhaust its unfair

2.4alltheway
11-24-2008, 06:49 PM
You can beat it because I did. It states in the statue: "a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the department of Environmental protection as provided in s 403.061. There is no level that your veichle can hit. thats how i fought it, and thats how I won. There is a gray line. Period.

fuelie327
11-30-2008, 07:11 PM
It would never be the weaving in and out of traffic that gets you guys pulled over.

n4b
12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Being the owner of both modified Imports and Domestic vehicles, I have personally been witness to officers targeting Imports for review as opposed to the Domestic owners.

Fact is that I was told the reason is because Import owners are more likely to be weaving in and out of traffic which for the older drivers is very dangerous.

As stated before, My exhaust is definitely not the quietest but I have been fortunate not to fly above the radar of perception/

It may seem unfair but that's how some of them base their stops. ;)

FoxHondaRider
12-23-2008, 02:20 AM
dang very intersting reading this I always wondered what the dB limit is. Louder than stock is a very unfare rule because even SRT4 have a rumble to them stock. But if one were to say its a different engine how could they tell you no? My point is if you took a SRT4 motor and put it in lets say a Civic and used a different exhaust like the OEM SRT4 how do they determine if its louder than stock. Is it by motor or type of car? An intake just loudened up my car a good bit, nothing rumbling but its louder. Man if they made ATV's street legal i'd be screwed I think my exhaust is like 102dB at 3,750RPM and when revving I thought someone tested it at 135dB and stock was 86dB. They need a set sound limit for exhaust and at a certain RPM. I know for ATV racing they used to test at 3750RPM for all ATV's and it has to be 102dB or lower at that RPM. The recently changed the rules to 99dB and the RPM they measure it at is by the formula of 306,000 divided by the engine’s stroke why cant they do that with cars? How much are the tickets running for this infraction?

ItalianStallion49
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
no off topic posts

crazyfb1218
03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Few cops have told me they liked the way my car sounded, haven't got pulled over for it yet.

Goataru
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM
You can beat it because I did. It states in the statue: "a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the department of Environmental protection as provided in s 403.061. There is no level that your veichle can hit. thats how i fought it, and thats how I won. There is a gray line. Period.

Recently had a run in with the law over my Civic exhaust..Called the state dept. and the DEP..And this post is very true, you can fight it based off the states brush off to the DEP, and the DEP brushes it off to another dept. And the last people it gets dropped on never put in a limit, so not saying it will get the cop to go away, but atleast if you have time for court it will in the end be dropped untill someone picks up the ball and gives a solid Db lvl and state cert. testing areas.

And never once been pulled over in a nova or camaro for noise. yet my crappy civic is "too loud"

heyitshan
04-18-2009, 02:35 AM
got a ticket tonight, exhaust isnt even that noticeably loud. cop was pretty cool, i was hoping to get a warning but i got a 101 dollar ticket. but then saw same cop had pulled someone over in less then 1 min. maybe he had to make a quota lol

$$ STR33T HUNT3RS $$
04-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Like 2 months ago I have a ticket for my mofler but the thing is everyone who is a ricer get that ticket but you can see rednet people driving their davison bikes that sound more that a motherfucker airplain and they don't get a ticket

NitroGlycerin
06-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Never had a problem with open headers & decent sized cams :)

Tha Judge
07-31-2009, 04:08 AM
wow, i have a hks exhaust system full 3inch turbo back.. umm, idk if thats legal, but its not retarded loud.. how much are the tickets?

Jeff28
08-28-2009, 07:59 PM
If you're car is Registered in another state and your down here for college, can you get a ticket for your exhaust? Virginia has the same laws about aftermarket exhaust, the secret is keep it looking like stock and the cops won't touch you. I just got Tampa area for college and saw this... So even though I have VA tags on my car can Florida cops still get me?

Exdamyankee
08-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Just my thoughts on this...

My '74 Z car is running straight dual pipes from the header to a pair of tiny glasspack tips. I set off every car alarm in every parked car I pass in a parking garage. I carry earplugs in my console so I can drive long distances without causing hearing damage or rattling my brains out of my skull. I think that fits the description of "Retarded Loud." :D

In the past two years and 50-odd thousand miles of driving in the Tampa Bay area I've yet to be pulled over. I've had cops ride up right next to me, I look over and nod to them, and all I get back is the occasional thumbs up as they pull past.

Either it's the gray hair at the temples that is saving my ass or the fact that I don't pull 7K shifts around them or do much of anything to draw unwanted attention. Whatever it is, I believe noise enforcement is HIGHLY SELECTIVE, and in my experience it selects against (recent vintage) imports and against younger drivers.

It is certainly not fair, it just is what it is.

BAMF
09-05-2009, 06:54 PM
If you're car is Registered in another state and your down here for college, can you get a ticket for your exhaust? Virginia has the same laws about aftermarket exhaust, the secret is keep it looking like stock and the cops won't touch you. I just got Tampa area for college and saw this... So even though I have VA tags on my car can Florida cops still get me?

Absolutely.

302GTS
10-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Just read this thread, and it's full of great info. I can't stand when people complain about exhaust tickets when the law is RIGHT there, and so simple to understand for the most part.

I will say, however, that I've never been 'picked on' for my exhaust. I ran around on open headers for a week and a half, and drove my car 20 miles per day with it like that. I rode right next to cops, and got thumbs up from them. I even had one ask me in a parking lot if I had a different motor in it, because it 'didn't sound like any 5.0 he'd ever heard'. :lol: Even though I'm running a catless x-pipe to dumped Flowmasters, and still don't get bothered. I'm just lucky I guess, and counting down the days till I get an exhaust ticket.

db2gsr
11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
states that you MAY NOT modify your exhaust to anything other than stock... coming from the last cop that pulled me over while i was sitting at a stop light... he told me that most cops dont enforce it unless theyre looking for a reason to pull you over

Boostin'Xr4
11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
^ Go die.

Boostin'Xr4
11-24-2009, 02:06 AM
You guys are right, 'probation' periods are a horrible idea for new users.
This spam is so fun to read I...
No, fuck you.

Ae86Rob
11-24-2009, 03:46 AM
I bet if i drove through FL in the wagon, the cops would shit their dicks off.

Gil14
11-24-2009, 11:46 PM
mufflers are wack,, just take it off

komron
11-29-2009, 05:01 AM
my friend, a shop owner in WA got out of an exhaust ticket the other day in Western WA because he had the silencer inside the vehicle. granted its not ridiculously loud, but its still a drift/track car. thought id note that for you all. i have had no issues so far being in Florida.

kozhinakaterina
12-03-2009, 03:41 AM
no spam

chicken fila
12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
i kno its from cali, but if u look closely its almost the same thing
its from a 7th gen civic cite

Exhaust modification in California Law, my viewpoint, sources included. - Honda Civic Forum (http://www.civicforums.com/forums/98-legal-questions-law/304196-exhaust-modification-california-law-my-viewpoint-sources-included.html#post4283967)

Shithappens
12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
so its probably not a good idea that I just bought headers, test pipe, and highflow 4" mufller?

BngWtr
01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
mufflers are wack,, just take it off
hell yeah i got headers to cats and about 4.5 ft of pipe that bitch roars.

S60R
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
I recently got a custom cat back exhaust from LHT Performance in Pinellas Park.

At first I was almost a little disappointed it wasn't louder, but once I had a chance to drive it around it had a great yet subtle note and just a little whine that made me very happy.

Its just enough noise to stand out to the enthusiast's ear but not enough to piss off the neighbors or notify every cop within a mile or two that I'm getting on it, lol.

John told me they had to try a couple different muffler options to keep it from being too loud. After reading this thread and knowing how the state and cities are getting desperate for ticket revenue I'm very glad that they went the extra mile to keep me from being too loud. :D

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/trawson/intake024.jpg

s2KallMotor
08-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Great, sounds like NY. At least I don't have to worry about emissions here.

SloCxHatch
09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
i honestly think its the Rice factor that they look for... i have a civic hatch... fully built and boosted, with a 4inch open down pipe... yes its loud, it sounds like a turbine engine crusing... but i have knock on wood gotten no tickets in it, the only time ive gotten a ticket was back in the day with a ricer apexi n1 canister hooked up to the back, i got pulled over and given a ticket (the muffler wasnt even hooked up... lol. now i have nothing back there to draw attention, and driving in low rpms i just sound like a semi rolling around ;)

zhillz
11-17-2010, 09:29 PM
he took the time to make an avatar and sig lol

Evol-Eagle-96
11-18-2010, 12:02 AM
There are a lot of dumb laws like this...I've fought every dumb ticket I've ever been issued in hillsborough county and had it thrown out or reduced to 3 dollars...including having blue blinking lights plainly visible from the front and rear of my vehicle...now I might just be lucky, but most judges like to think the men and women who wear badges and collect their checks from tax payers have better things to do than hassle people about looking good

98_GstEclipse
04-07-2011, 01:36 PM
After owning the GST for over 5 years now, I got my first exhaust ticket on the way to work. I'm going to try and fight it. The statue he wrote me a ticket for is 316.610. Which states...

Abstract: (1) Any police officer may at any time, upon reasonable cause to believe that a vehicle is unsafe or not equipped as required by law, or that its equipment is not in proper adjustment or repair, require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection and such test with reference thereto as may be appropriate. (2) In the event the vehicle is found to be in unsafe condition or any required part or equipment is not present or is not in proper repair and ...

Not sure if I have a good chance. I think I might go to Dennis Lopez or Ty Traynor. He was a motorcyle state trooper. Not sure how he heard me when I was crusing at about 30mph in traffic. But whatever. The exhaust is an Apexi N1. I thought I read somewhere on their site where it says it meets db restrictions but, I can't find it now.

Mysterious Driver
04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
After owning the GST for over 5 years now, I got my first exhaust ticket on the way to work. I'm going to try and fight it. The statue he wrote me a ticket for is 316.610. Which states...

Abstract: (1) Any police officer may at any time, upon reasonable cause to believe that a vehicle is unsafe or not equipped as required by law, or that its equipment is not in proper adjustment or repair, require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection and such test with reference thereto as may be appropriate. (2) In the event the vehicle is found to be in unsafe condition or any required part or equipment is not present or is not in proper repair and ...

Not sure if I have a good chance. I think I might go to Dennis Lopez or Ty Traynor. He was a motorcyle state trooper. Not sure how he heard me when I was crusing at about 30mph in traffic. But whatever. The exhaust is an Apexi N1. I thought I read somewhere on their site where it says it meets db restrictions but, I can't find it now.

FHP was cruising the city awhile back and nailed me for not using my turning signal while changing lanes and stopped me. He said he would let the turning signal ticket slide but gave me a civil infraction for my exhaust sounding too loud while my car was idleing when he stopped me which was quiet as hell. I should have turned it off but i was going to fight it and realized the statue he gave me couldn't get it reduced after i went to my friends shop and had him print out a receipt for "exhaust leak repair" and threw on my silencer when i went over to HCSO office's. Now i know if it was to ever happen again i have the same plan in storage! In tampa i never have any cops bother looking over at me.

98_GstEclipse
04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
FHP was cruising the city awhile back and nailed me for not using my turning signal while changing lanes and stopped me. He said he would let the turning signal ticket slide but gave me a civil infraction for my exhaust sounding too loud while my car was idleing when he stopped me which was quiet as hell. I should have turned it off but i was going to fight it and realized the statue he gave me couldn't get it reduced after i went to my friends shop and had him print out a receipt for "exhaust leak repair" and threw on my silencer when i went over to HCSO office's. Now i know if it was to ever happen again i have the same plan in storage! In tampa i never have any cops bother looking over at me.

I called the HCSO when I got home and the douche that I spoke with told me that any aftermarket exhaust is illegal in the state of Florida. The office I called was were I was going to take it after I got my exhaust leak fixed, since right now it sounds like I'm running open down pipe. Still up in the air what I'm going to do now. Also the same FHP that got me is the same one that got my friend 2 or 3 times within a couple months.

sexyabriana8
06-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi Everyone
I'm new to This forum
it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in;) http://freeimagestock4you.com/img/C/Bz.jpg

civicem2
08-29-2011, 12:59 AM
this is bs because those loud ass mofo harly motorcycles are way louder than alot of car with aftermarket exhaust .

Paulino
08-29-2011, 01:10 AM
this is bs because those loud ass mofo harly motorcycles are way louder than alot of car with aftermarket exhaust .

They have different exhaust note decibel regulations pimpalicious!

vtecmomma
12-02-2011, 01:47 AM
<~~~~~Gotten 1.
Also Harleys and other bikes claim they need to be loud so that people will hear and see them coming.

CrypticApathy
03-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Damn they are still handing out tickets for this shit. Im not seeing as many fart cannons as i used to.

neethan
06-11-2013, 04:33 AM
what if its under the 79 db and its "modifyed" would that still be illegal?