View Full Version : Has anybody got caught getting free cable?

bitemark46
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
From brighthouse? If so what were the repercussions? Thanks.

P057
09-12-2006, 08:17 PM
not by brighthouse, back when i lived in miami we used to have the notorious 'black boxes' and once they found out they just somehow got around it. Never confronted us directly.

I probably wouldnt risk it, seems rather stupid.

Been cable free since '01!

oh wait unless you're talking about internet... then i dunno. I'd like to know how you managed that then! haha

ThaiRacer
09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
i heard its easy to steal brighthouse since its a shared server

willie666
09-12-2006, 10:03 PM
I had to go to court on monday for some BS and when they were calling out people to go infront of the judge atleast 3 of the people were for stealing cable, they will arrest you and take you to jail believe it or not.

martz0r
09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Bwahahaha, this reminds me of a story.

We used to have a cable box when we lived up north. We had an illegal one and a legal Comcast one. Well, before we moved down here, my mom had to bring the Comcast cable box back to them. So of course, she brings the illegal cable box with her without realizing and goes up to the desk and the lady quiety told her it was the wrong one and to leave before anyone said anything... :lol:

bitemark46
09-12-2006, 11:45 PM
I had to go to court on monday for some BS and when they were calling out people to go infront of the judge atleast 3 of the people were for stealing cable, they will arrest you and take you to jail believe it or not.

You shitin me? Damn, there goes that idea. -Mark

Suicidal Racing
09-13-2006, 12:23 AM
i knoe plenty of people who have free cable and shit..and know some that been cought couple times

they always got away with it..the say well it was like that when we moved in and i figured it was just one of the things that was included with my rent..other times after they got caught and said that already then got it again..the just said they came home one day and they had cable and they wheren't going to say shit about it

Young,Fablous,&Broke
09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
My friend used to be a brighthouse installer. He has been stealing it since '01. They just found out about it last month.

All they did was leave a note on his door that he needs to start paying it or it will be disconnected.

stockaccord
09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
when we used to have "black market" Direct TV. we had basic cable through them, like 1-70. My uncle used to work for this guy that would burn cards with all the channels on them. So technically it wasnt illegal, but once in a while direct TV would "zap" the cards that were black market and we would just have to have the card re-burnt.

never got caught

Off-Topic
09-13-2006, 12:03 PM
u get 3 chances then you get in trouble

chi town brat
09-13-2006, 12:13 PM
In Chicago we had a descrambler to get the channels my dad didn't want to pay for. Didn't work all that well from what I remember.

In Tampa, I decided to downgrade my cable, it was raining, the cable guy had already been drenched by the rain 3x's that day and was tired. He took all the digital equipment and said, as far as you know I went outside to do something to the cable box. Enjoy the channels that you don't need the box for. :D

I have since moved and now pay fully for cable. Oh well.

defekt
09-13-2006, 01:47 PM
my ex and i were caught at our old apartment in st pete. we had free cable for 8 months before they caught us. our neighbor above had it for a year. the cable box was right behind our porch, so it was easy access. but the funny thing was they caught us a week before the lease was up, so we didnt care much :lol:

tgm
09-13-2006, 03:23 PM
The outside contractors only get paid 5.25 to disconnect and they have to usually get on a ladder to disconect so most of the time they dont even bother. Most of the time they just say they disconnected it, brighthouse cant tell if they did or not since its a shared server. So if you stop paying for brighthouse chances are they wont ever bother disconncting you if you have basic service.90% of the guys dont care if your stealing cable too, I got digital and internet this week, all my nieghbors were stealing cable the guy didnt give a shit.

Notladstyle
09-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Stealing, as in using the cable without paying for it isnt illegal. If you have a black box and de-scramble premium channels they will flash your box(burns it out), disconnect the cable, or rotate the signal so the box doesnt work and bill you. If you dont pay they will destroy your credit... As my best friend found out after he tore up a bill.

Almost every apartment building has one person with open wireless for internet tho, I am curious what BH plans to do about that.

Rales
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM
I have BH internet but no cable tv, I was hoping when I turned off my cable I would atleast get basic cable or some chanels through teh cable. I guess the guy didnt like me much lol they took it all away. So is there a filter on if you just have cable internet and not cable tv or how is that blocked, not about to change stuff as its in my neighbors yard but just curious.

dscivicdx
09-13-2006, 08:57 PM
lol... we just had out free ride end last night. the apartment we moved into still had basic cable running, so my girlfriend and i decided to see how long it would last. we got a good 10 months out of it, so i cant complain too much. we were pretty pissed when the guy cut it off last night though. no notes on the door or anything like that. i have an appointment to have it turned back on "officially" next week.

bitemark46
09-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Ok so it seems that some get a slap on the wrist and others have to go to court? I know how to do it but just wondering the consequences. Any more? THanks. -Mark

Hater
09-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Ok so it seems that some get a slap on the wrist and others have to go to court? I know how to do it but just wondering the consequences. Any more? THanks. -Mark

im pretty sure those who provide the stolen cable devices or the ones who hook them up illegaly are he ones who go to court

nismo
09-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Ugh, what now? RIAA at my door for "stealing" music?

haha

coryishot19
09-14-2006, 02:24 PM
i know if you cancel your cable and keep road runner. you can get basic channels off your road runner line and they have no way of knowing...

maverick1090
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
BH will try and back bill you. If you are caught multiple times they will arrest you. However, DTV will slap the book at you. Trust me I know.

DriftingDJ
09-14-2006, 05:11 PM
free to air satellite is legal and free

ChrisN1313
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I have caught a bunch of people and they have been arressted on the spot by TPD or whatever county your in. There is no 3 chances game here. If you get caught you will pay.

Oh and dscivicdx you got pissed that you got caught stealing something wow your a tard :lol:

dscivicdx
09-14-2006, 10:48 PM
no, i was pissed cause they interruped law and order. not that they shut it off.

Da_lurker
09-14-2006, 11:09 PM
you own the sat system so if you happen to be able to decode the broadcast that is hitting your roof all day good for you.

staeling cable is accessing a closed system. like trespassing. when i was in an apt complex i would "access" the green box and just hook up the whole bldg. my sister works for cable company up north and they catch alot of people because when they have illegal cable and it goes out they call to complain. then give their address. lol