Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

TECH:KA DOHC Powersteering Pump on SR20DET Redtop Motor

Old 04-07-2004, 06:31 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TECH:KA DOHC Powersteering Pump on SR20DET Redtop Motor

I recently installed my 91 SR20DET motor into my 96 S14. During the process of my first Nissan motor swap I managed to strip out the powersteering pump which came with my SR Clip. The pump was not completely stripped out but enough to cause the pump to fail.

Problem -apparently SR power steering pumps are a rare item here in the states. NOBODY has them, and most of the engine importers want more than probaly anybody will pay for a USED pump IF they could get their hands on one.

Research-First thing that I did was research every Nissan board and forum that I could including googling for a few hours on this problem. I found very little info and was beginning to believe that I was the only person who has either had a bad pump or damaged one myself. I could find any detailed info anywhere so I posted at NICO, only because I've been told by a few locals including installers that the KA pumps would not work. On NICO, I got a reply from a guy who said he was using a KA pump on his SR. How...well here it goes.

Sources-I made my way down to XAT via their website claimed to have tons of KA PS pumps lying around. Though through my fault, I hadnt checked their site in about a week which they updated with new info, including not listing anymore pumps. When I got to XAT Casey was about to source me out a pump from what he says is a S13 DOHC Pump. Thanks Casey, you are the man

It still had the hardline or the peice that is about 3 inches long, and adapts the engine bay ps line to the pump via a side mount bolt and a top mount bolt. This was a plus as I didnt have one, only the SR one which would not fit due to different bolt sizes.

Solution-Im not sure if all DOHC or just the S13's work, but I will give info on what I used. I luckly had my old SR pump which I needed to use for parts. Source a DOHC KA pump and the metal adapator/hard line that bolts the engine bay pressure line to the pump. Take the SR pulley off the SR pump and swap it onto the KA pump(17mm, I believe). You will actually have to take the SR pulley and flip it around so that the indented side is facing in. Take the metal bracket/ plate which wraps around the pulley and is bolted in with two 12mm(I believe)bolts off the SR pump and swap them onto the KA pump. Reason for this is that the KA bracket would reach the tensioner screw on the SR.

Using the replacement SR belt, it should bolt in with no problem. As a matter of fact, if you put the two pumps together without the pulleys, they are identical in size and shape. Only thing I did not swap was there is a retaining bracket that holds the engine bay hose metal end to the pump via a nipple which dosnt line up unless you swap it with the SR one, but if you tigten down the bolt it shouldnt move.

Make sure to reuse all of the copper washers to prevent leaks between the lines and bolts. After everything is said and done, the pulley and the crank pulley line up perfectly, and all is good. Fill your PS resorvior up with Dextron III(thanks Mattback for helping me with that one)ATF fluid and enjoy PS once again!

Though I only was without PS for about 2 weeks, it was odd driving with it again, but oh does it make life so much easier.

Im not sure how useful this will be locally, if anyone feels need to delete it, please let me know.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile

Last edited by Ralph; 04-07-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:46 PM
doesnt even lift

Really nice job man, thats bad ass. I just discovered NICO about the time you wrote this post and have been reading it ever since. Lots of knowledgeable people on there and Im likin it. Anyway just thought I'd throw that in there cause you found out about this from a guy on NICO. Nice job nonetheless, Im sure theres people around here who may or may not have this problem but might in the future.

Pollo is the best admin there ever was ever
Old 04-08-2004, 04:42 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

WOW!!!

GO ralph!! you are the man. it is good to see tampa locals making some good discoveries!!
Old 04-08-2004, 05:54 AM
Suck A Turd!

Good Job Ralph.......

RINKU

1) BRAND NEW XBOX 360 4GB. (Never Opened - Factory Sealed)

2) TI 89 Texas Instruments GRAPHIC CALCULATOR. Barely Used.

3) Dell Vostro 200 DESKTOP Complete PC Package.

Click link above to see PHOTOS & CONTACT INFO.

I am in WESLEY CHAPEL, FL area and can meet locally. SEE ITEM in person before you buy for peace of mind.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:55 AM
Get off my lawn

im using my old dohc ps pump on my sr, i just had to make a new ps line

[xbox360]DETrimentS14[/xbox360]
Old 04-08-2004, 06:25 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Thanks guys...I thought I was out of hope when I was told I couldnt use the US pumps and that SR pumps were near impossible to get..for any reasonable price. Sidewayz, I luckily didnt have to get a new ps line, but I know even with the SR's, certain models require you use the DOHC lines I believe, so Im assuming it applies to this as well.

TR Profile
Myspace Profile