What is HID?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Rey
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is HID?

I run into this issue with alot of the buyers. They think it's a regular replacement bulb that is painted blue or whatever color you like. But, that is NOT correct.

HID Technology:

XENON HID lamps do not have a filament. Instead the light is created by an electrical discharge between two electrodes in an air tight tiny quartz capsule filled with xenon gas, mercury and metal halide salts. This improves durability as road vibrations can cause damage to coil lighting technologies. These light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The color temperature is approximately 4200 K compared to 3200 K for halogen. The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb. The XENON HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system.

How Do I know what kind of kit to order?
With so many makes, models and trim levels of vehicles it is important that you check and make sure what type of bulb your particular vehicle needs. You can find the type of bulbs your specific vehicle uses in several locations. One place is the head light lens, the bulb type will be molded into it. Another place is on the bulb itself, the bulb type and wattage will be printed or molded into the base. The vehicle owner's manual may also tell you what type of bulb you need for your head lights and/or fog lights. If you still cannot find the bulb type you require we suggest you contact your local car dealership and inquire as to what kind of bulbs your vehicle uses. Once you obtain the correct bulb information you may order the corresponding HID conversion kit.

Will I have to modify my headlights?
These HID conversion kits are designed to be plug+play. Our custom molded bases will ensure you will not have to modify your vehicle headlight assembly in any way. Furthermore, the wiring harness that is provided with our product will plug directly into your OEM headlight harness with no wire splicing, tapping, or cutting.

Headlight Bulb Cross Reference:
H4 bulb can be referenced to as a 9003 or an HB2.
9004 bulb can be referenced to as an HB1.
9005 bulb can be referenced to as an HB3.
9006 bulb can be referenced to as an HB4.
9007 bulb can be referenced to as an HB5.

It is VERY important to tell 1320 Engineering the YEAR MAKE and SPECIFIC MODEL when ordering a kit. There are SOOO many varieties between models and years. For example, a 2006 Yukon and a 2007 Yukon may LOOK the same BUT the bulbs are TOTALLY different.

I have installed over 100+ kits and I have had to fab alot of setups because of the rarity. Plus, fog light setups in alot of the newer cars require custom installs. Please inquire about this.

Last edited by 1320 Engineering; 10-09-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Rey
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What decreases life of HID bulbs?
Most of us have played around with halogen bulbs and found out that the only thing that really decreases their life is over voltage and high G-forces. HID bulbs are more fragile, probably the number one reason is because the bulbs are running with non approval ballast. It does not matter how good the other part of the kit and bulbs are. If the ballast characteristics are not OK, the bulbs will die prematurely.

#

* KELVIN (k) - A basic unit of thermodynamic temperature (color temperature) used to measure the whiteness of the light output. The higher the number is the bluer (or purpler) the light is.

# Some HID terms

* Capsule - The Xenon gas inside the capsule and the mercurial Metal Halide Salts emits light of high degree of brightness.
* Ignitor - An electric current transformer that light the bulb by discharging a high electric pulse using an electric current switch through an electric current from the Ballast.
* Ballast - Supplies and controls the electric current (±20,000V) to the Xenon capsule

#
Why HID and not just a "super white" replacement bulb?
Conventional filament type bulbs use dated technology operating on the standard 12v DC powered system. HID system converts the 12V DC to an incredible 20,000V AC current, which produces an arc of light within the xenon gas bulb housing.
# Can HID conversion kit retrofit any conventional halogen headlight system with genuine HID?
Yes. And some fog lamp units too provided that space allows. Our kit is a truly direct drop-in retrofit HID conversion type. It transforms ordinary automotive and motorcycle H1, H3, H7, 9004/5/6/7 headlight systems into the most advanced HID technology.
# I'm not sure if I've just purchased a pair of "HID bulbs" or not. It says "HID" & "Xenon" on the packaging but nowhere does it mention the need for two dedicated HID ballasts to power like what your site mentions.
Sorry but yours are not genuine HID bulbs. You merely purchased a pair of blue-coated (ie: intensity compromised) halogen bulbs which are mislabeled to trick buyer into believing that they are of the same thing as genuine HID capsules. It is true that certain aftermarket halogen bulbs contain traces of xenon gas, but calling them HID bulbs is mislabeled, if not devious. HID capsule requires 35-watt HID ballast to run and doesn't contain any filament. HID capsule outputs 3 times the intensity, consumes less power, and lasts 5 times longer than halogen counterparts - stock or high output.
# Most people install 8000k and 6000k in their car, what is the difference?
While our 6000K (Light-Purplish/white) and 8000K (Xenon-Blue) HID bulbs both make driving a more enjoyable experience, there are some differences worth mentioning. The 6000K will be brighter than the 8000K.On the other hand, 8000K offer a distinctively eye pleasing look sure to turn heads.

My car came with OEM HID headlight system, why do I care about your products?
US car dealerships (foreign & US brands) are allowed to sell HID capsules in 4,000K range only.
So swap your existing OEM capsules (4,000K) with our 5,000K model for a slightly bluer tone. Our D2S & D2R capsules pop right into your Headlight housing. No additional ballasts or wiring are needed. And ours cost only a fraction of what the dealer charges you.

# Tell me more about Color Temperature (K)?
Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the color temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a color temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output.
As the color temperature increases, the color of the light moves from yellow -> white -> blue-white. HID headlights provide light at a higher color temperature than standard halogen headlights, which gives them a crisp white appearance. HID lamps come in 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, 10000K, 12000K or 14000K. The difference is the coloring from white through blue to purple. As a reference, sunlight at noon is 5250°K. You'll want to make yourself familiar with the different hues to make your choice. Higher color temperature doesn't mean brighter. As a matter of fact, higher K Kits, such as 10,000K, 12000K and 14000K, have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual color output as opposed to the actual useable light output.
# What can I do to prolong the lifespan of my HID capsules?
Glad that you asked. HID capsules are very delicate & fragile components indeed.

1. Do not touch the capsules except their base portions. This means no touching on the glass of the capsules, shafts, halogen bulbs, etc. If you do touch them by accident, use a cotton with alcohol to wipe off the skin oil carefully.
2. Disable DRL (daylight running lights). This annoying feature sends insufficient voltage to the capsules when you first turn your key and as a result, only 1 of 2 capsules are usually fired up properly. You can 'fix' this by starting up the engine fast before the DRL kicks in.
3. Do not turn on the engine with the HIDs on.
4. Do not turn off the engine with the HIDs on.
5. Do not allow the HID ballasts to be exposed to excessive water/moisture even though they are water-proof to a certain degree.
6. Do not leave your HIDs on when car is idle. This overheats them.
7. Do not turn them on & off repetitively. This hurts all bulbs - incandescent, halogen, HID, LED, etc.
8. Inspect headlight units to make sure the seals are good. Make sure no moisture buildup inside the housings.

# What other significance of this conversion should I be aware of?

* Beam Correction - Although our system produces accurate beam with minimal glare nor improper projection, it is always wise to check its focal length and adjust if necessary. Incorrect beam pattern endangers oncoming traffic. US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) & Department of Transportation (DOT) received lots of complaints regarding haphazard glare from both aftermarket as well as OEM HID systems.
* Converted halogen-to-HID headlight systems are brighter than even OEM HID system - HID system in a light-intensifying halogen housing is brighter than HID system in a light-diminishing OEM HID housing. This is why we can't stress enough the importance of checking your projection beam pattern after conversion.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The Best Car Scene is Tampa Racing!
Tampa Racing has the best Florida Car Scene Year Round!

Florida's Best Import Car Scene is Tampa Racing!
Tampa Racing sets another record: number of readers on Tampa Racing
at the SAME time: 3,302!
Currently Active Users

There are currently 309 users online. 1 members and 308 guests
Most users ever online was 3,302, May 5 at 02:11 PM.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

-------------------------------------------------------
So Tampa Racing reset the counter and mercy sakes! June 22 2016, Another record set for
number of readers on Tampa Racing at the same time: 2,041
-------------------------------------------------------

Currently Active Users

There are currently 222 users online. 2 members and 220 guests
Most users ever online was 2,041, 06-22-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

----------------------------------------------------
The previous record was 2,668 set on August 29 2015
far exceeding the 1,900+ from the "old days".....
and yes folks, as the primary poster accused of "ruining the site"
I accept full responsibility.....

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/